ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: intuos 3 size

intuos 3 size

Hello,

I am new to Painting and Sketching and found this wonderfull software, I am now wanting to look at purchasing a intuos 3 tablet. But I am unsure if I should get the 4x5 or the 6x8.
    I am on a small budget, so if the 4x5 if okay I will look at that.

Just wanted to know from intuos users if it is a mistake to look at the 4x5.

Also the Graphire 4 is cheaper, should I look at one of those?
    Everyone here seems to use the intuos though.

Regards,
    David

Hi Davoid,

I just went from a 4x5 (Wacom Pen Partner that I used for about 8 years) to a 9x12 Intuous 3 and I love it. True, I was able to work using the 4x5 but I was easily frustrated....A small movement of the pen across the tablet produced a rather large movement on the screen which was difficult to master. The larger size feels right.

I would suggest buying the 6x8 or larger if it is within your budget.

Brian

Wacom

If comes down to money and desk space.

The Intuos3 is very sensitive and also responds to the angle that you are holding the pen. This makes some tools far more lifelike.
    It also has a range of nibs.
    4.5 x 5.5 means that tiny lines on the screen need to be drawn even more finely on the pad, because it is a lot smaller than the screen. This can be improved by altering the zoom factor but a large pad must be so much easier.

My advice , oft given, is just stay away from the Volito2 if you can afford to. It's ok, but when the nib has worn down it's pretty well finished. A new pen is almost the same price as the whole original system.

People are still turning out wonderful pictures with the mouse, so don't rush to buy, it might be better to save up a little longer for a better pen.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

In addition to the opinions expressed here, be sure to take advantage of Wacom's own wizard. It's not bad at all at determining which tablet/size would be right for you. I've gone through it a few times over the years (masochistic virtual window-shopping), and as my responses have varied, so has the wizard's recommendation.

I started using a 4x5 ArtPad eons ago, then upgraded to the 4x5 ArtPad II and finally the original 4x5 Graphire, which I am still using. The only reason I stuck with that size is because it's what I could afford. Now that I've replaced my mouse with my tablet full-time, I am frustrated by its size at least once every few minutes, and that's just in mouse mode. It's equally aggravating in tablet mode.

We make do with what we've got 'til we can do better. I'm happy that I have a Wacom at all, but you can bet I'll be getting a 6x11 (widescreen/dual display) Intuos3 as soon as I am able.

Incidentally, if you're transitioning from a mouse for the first time, it takes a bit of getting used to, like any new interface. Soon enough, though, you should be wondering how you got on without it. And if you're showing any signs of repetitive stress syndrome, a tablet is a really good way to relieve some of it. See, it's an investment in your health, as well. =]

Good luck with your decision, and have fun! You're in for a real treat.

- Gita

Thank you all for the advice, I think I will wait till I can afford the Intuos 3.

Thanks again,
    David