ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Removing background from imported image.

Removing background from imported image.

Greetings!

I want to import a scanned B/W cartoon (.jpg) into ArtRage 2.5, remove all the `white background` area so that I have a `transparent` background, and then color-away on layers beneath. I`ve tried this via `Import Image` (and then making a stencil), but no-dice...unless I`ve actually drawn my cartoon within ArtRage, or so it seems. I also tried changing the paper opacity to 0%, deleting layers etc., to no avail.

Is there a trick to doing this in ArtRage (other than using the `Eliminate White` filter via another app like Photoshop)?

Any suggstions would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers!

In ArtRage, you will have to erase it manually with the eraser tool.

Or use a third party software (e.g. Photoshop, Gimp (freeware), paint.NET (Freeware), etc.) to delete the white area selected with the magic wand tool and then to save your picture on a layer as .TIF with transparency or .PNG and then only import it in ArtRage.

If you use Photoshop, u can also save it in .PSD and import it as it in ArtRage.

hi ZoSo

well maybe a little trick...import the image on a new layer and set the blendmodes (i believe some of them works as you've had erased the white background, darker maybe). You can paint then the colors underneat this layer...

try it!

greez maror
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
    Greetings!I`ve tried this via `Import Image` (and then making a stencil), but no-dice...

If you plan to use a pencil/pen picture as a stencil, you should try to clean up the image as much as possible. You should then import the image as a stencil through the Stencil Panel. Do this by:
    1. Click on the "Stencil Tab" at the bottom of the screen.
    2. Click on the "Black Arrow Tab" at the top right of the Stencil Panel
    3. Select the "Load A Stencil From Disk" option
    4. Browse to your image and click "Open"
    Importing the image as a layer (as you did) then making the layer a stencil won't work, because the entire layer is seen as paint (even the white background), so you end up with rectangle stencil. (NOTE: I've attached an image as an example to this post)

Personally, I'd go with maror's suggestion, which is something I do a lot when I scan in comic book style work. Please see the following link for an example, dealing with the same question.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=14660
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stencilmaking.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	21757  
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

In other words, clean it with third party software

RE: Removing background from imported image.

@ orbital chiller: Thx a lot for your tip! I`ll try it!

@ maror:
    Doh! I had no idea I could do that! Thx for the great idea!! A little darker (you`re right)...but easily fixed!

@ someonesane:
    Very cool...thank you for your time/effort on this!! PS: I wonder why ArtRage imports a `stencil from disk` at only 75% the original size, though? Resizing a stencil back to the original image size results in pixelation. Either way, I`ll go with your suggestion of maror`s suggestion of the blending modes. Thx!

Great forum! ArtRage rocks! Thx again, everyone!

Also try the 'multiply' blending mode. If your lineart is black against white, then placing it on a layer above your colourization layers and setting the blendmode for the lineart layer to 'multiply' will give you an apparently transparent lineart layer.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

What I do is I edit the image first in Gimp then transfer it in Artrage.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital_chiller View Post
    In other words, clean it with third party software
    Actually, when I said "clean up", I meant before one even scans the image and imports the image into the computer at all. If it's a clean image, the coloring process becomes easier. I usually ink what I draw before I scan it and erase any pencil lines with a kneaded eraser.

One could also create a new layer, ink over the image on that layer and the color beneath the inked layer (removing the original layer altogether).

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ojGDNJQBA

The example here, shows me drawing the sketch layer in ArtRage as well, but the idea here is in the use of layers.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 10-31-2008 at 03:32 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.