ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage shouldn't show blank name area with "save as"

Gallery
    View images

ArtRage shouldn't show blank name area with "save as"

Maybe i got a bug but if not it's the right place to post.

Usually, when i work i save several versions of the same work, by security (against corrupted file, which never happened yet in AR) and for keeping a track of the evolution, with numbers for knowing which version is older until the last version.

Sometimes, the files are parts of the same project. For giving an exemple, let's say i construct an human body. I work on the left arm so i save leftarm_v01, i work, i save, i work, i save... i am in a critical step and need to save a version, i save as leftarm_v02 and i can go like that until a lot of versions until v10 or v30 for this very same work.

After a while i have legs, hips, head, arms etc. And if i wanna "save as"... the area is blank, i have so many files in my folder and it takes me some checking to be sure what i am about to "save as"... which would not happen if the actual name of the file was displayed in the "save as" box.

I think my example is the principal reason that ALL softwares don't propose a blank file name box in that situation... all but AR

Maybe it's helpful for some users but it's just a matter of confusion and lost of time for me... It would be neat to make an option, so everybody will be happy.

This habits of saving a lot of versions came principally from using 3DS Max, which can have very random crashing. Those crash sometimes could badly corrupt the actual file opened, and if you weren't aware "saving as", hours of sweaty works are sending straight to the nothingness. (bec no previous version)

By the way, 3DS got a button dedicated to the "version saving": It has a button "+" in the "save as" dialog box, if your file is file01, it will save it as file02 automatically when u click on that "+"...

voilą voilą...
    Last edited by orbital_chiller; 10-24-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    I agree on this, it should use the name of the file as default, not a blank space.

An incremental file naming option would be great bonus!

Gallery
    View images
    I have to chime in with agreement as well. It's something I have often thought of but for some reason never mentioned. Thanks for suggesting this.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Hi guys i'm working on something at the mo and each time i go to save it i have to click on the file name i'm using, i'm not sure if its a bug but i get it in both winxp and mac os
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by cripster View Post
    Hi guys i'm working on something at the mo and each time i go to save it i have to click on the file name i'm using, i'm not sure if its a bug but i get it in both winxp and mac os
    Do you mean you get this using File/Save from the dropdown menu?