ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Newbie Question-Blend and resolution

Gallery
    View images

Newbie Question-Blend and resolution

Sorry if this question shouldn't go in this section. Started playing with the program and fell in love with it. Now have the full program.

So I finally have a finished sketch that I want to paint. My problem is that I am having trouble plending the paint with the knife in the smaller areas. I was wondering if there was an easier way to blend paint than the knife?

Or perhaps it would work if I worked at a higher size. How big or what resolution do you guys usually work with?

Thanks for the help.

sman118

Gallery
    View images
    Hi,

Try the Brush at 0 pressure and 0 Loading. Then increase the presure a little at a time. Blending is something under review by Ambient.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    thanks. I'll give that a try tonight

Re: Newbie Question-Blend and resolution

Quote Originally Posted by sman118
    Sorry if this question shouldn't go in this section. Started playing with the program and fell in love with it. Now have the full program.

So I finally have a finished sketch that I want to paint. My problem is that I am having trouble plending the paint with the knife in the smaller areas. I was wondering if there was an easier way to blend paint than the knife?

Or perhaps it would work if I worked at a higher size. How big or what resolution do you guys usually work with?

Thanks for the help.

sman118
    bigger size of pic works well

try that.
    HAHAHA

Gallery
    View images
    You can also zoom in and shrink your knife to an acceptable size where you have control in the way you like.

A possible down side to that is you then have smaller marks which may or may not suit the look of your painting in context.

But you can experiemnt.

Another thing is you can mix an in-between color and paint it in with more precision and then pull that away from the sensitive edge, rather than trying to blend perfectly with the knife -- depending on what effect you're after.

I'm trying to do bolder paintings where the strokes are apparent. So I'm a little less fastidious, and can let alone certain irregularities on the canvas/page and call it 'technique', heh.

I've been playing. But I'm still mostly using ArtRage to do studies for real world paintings because I have more mastery over the art tools, and playing with ArtRage gives me really good ideas for pushing paint around.

But I would like to get some digital images as an end product soon though.

Good luck to you.

And please share what you find works for you.

We're all learning.

Gallery
    View images

progress report

i was able to do a little bit of blending with the pallet knife once I noticed the size adjuster. Originally I assumed you just use the pressure meter for that. Here is a little work in progress of the picture I've been doing. I'm regretting not starting on some sort of middle value background. It usually helps me keep the characters from blending into the background.

the original sketch

and the work in progress

And thanks again for everyone's help.

Sman118

Gallery
    View images
    looking very nice sman!
    great lighting
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

Gallery
    View images
    Very very cool works!
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images

slowly but surely

The pallet knife worked well on blending the grass and the tree. pretty happy with how its turning out and am looking forward to finishing it. Still have plenty to go, but now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

sman118