Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artrage doesn't detect pen pressure

Gallery
    View images

Artrage doesn't detect pen pressure

I just bought a bamboo medium white tablet, and with it cam artrage.
    But the program won't recognize pen pressure. However hard or soft I press, it makes no difference at all. I tried to look in the manual where I can chance pen pressure settings, but I couldn't find anything about it.

Does anyone know what to do about this?

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there,

Can you tell me what operating system you're using there? ArtRage doesn't need anything enabled for pressure support, but if I know what platform you're running it on, I can give you some troubleshooting steps to help fix the problem.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    I use Windows Vista.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for that! This sounds likely to be a problem relating to using Microsoft Ink Services, so let's try this first:

1/ Make sure you have the latest version of ArtRage ( 2.5.20 ). You can check in Help -> About ArtRage to make sure. If you don't, download the latest version from www.artrage.com/artrageinstaller.html and install it

2/ Create a file called 'no_ink.inf' and place it in ArtRage's resources subfolder. So, c:\program files(x86)\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources <-- file goes here, for example. The type of file doesn't matter, just the filename, so it could be a copy of any other file, a text file, anything.

3/ Start up ArtRage again and see if this improves the situation. What you've just done is to force ArtRage not to use Microsoft Ink Services. If there's a setting in Ink Services which has disabled pressure, this should fix the problem.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    It works now! Thank you very much!

Gallery
    View images
    I also had this problem with ArtRage 2.5.20 and a Bamboo in Vista. The Bamboo pressure would not work in Gimp 2.6 either. You can solve both by disabling the 'Ink' service if your not interested in the tablet PC functionality. Go to 'Control Panel' -> 'Administrative Tools' -> 'Services' and find the 'Tablet PC Input Service', right click on it and go to 'Properties'. Stop the service by clicking on the 'Stop' button and then select 'Disabled' from the 'Startup Type' list box, this will stop it from starting. Click 'Apply' and 'Ok', then restart the system. You can re-enable it later if you need to by selecting 'Automatic' from the 'Startup Type' list box, and then clicking 'Start'.

Gallery
    View images
    If you do want to use ink services, and still have pressure support in Ink-enabled applications like Artrage, Journal and so on when using a tablet, it's generally a case of checking that either 'pen flicks' or 'press and hold to right click' are enabled in 'Pen and Input Devices' in the Vista control panel. If neither of these options are enabled, pressure support is unavailable in Ink-enabled applications if I recall correctly.

However, we have the no_ink.inf file workaround as a way to make sure that ArtRage can work independantly of this.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    That's handy to know, I was disabling every thing to do with the tablet PC settings, I didn't want the 'flicks' or the popup handwriting entry panel, I just wanted the tablet as a mouse, then the pressure stopped working. Which is why I ended up just stopping the service. I might try enabling it again, and try tinkering with the settings again. I remember having problems with the 'Space' + drag on tablet to scroll not working, Also the 'right click' when hovering the pen to scroll caused the current brush to draw on the canvas.
    Last edited by AlienHunter; 12-01-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    I was wondering if there is a way to get pressure sensitivity on my Intuos 3 Wacom, that I am using on a iMac G5 computer running OS X version 10.4.11.

I have never had pressure sensitivity, have gotten used to it I suppose ( don't miss what you never had). I have also no access to the preset buttons on the Wacom, but one thing at a time! Thanks for any help. Talk simple-I'm dense!

I have the most recent artrage version for wacom also, and one last clue,
    I did buy the Wacom used, and the guy had a PC and spoke of loading drivers,
    something I have not done, so perhaps that may be the issue.
    With these things in mind, I am posting another question on a different thread.
    Perhaps there is some connection.
    Last edited by Rob in Denver; 12-03-2008 at 01:59 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Rob!

You can either install the Wacom tablet software which I would imagine will be on the Tablet's CD, or alternatively you can download the latest Wacom tablet software from their website at www.wacom.com ( This will give you their latest version ).

I suspect that the lack of pressure and tablet button access will be due to not having this software installed. If unsure though, I'd recommend contacting Wacom support for assistance in setting up the tablet software ( drivers ) as they should be able to help with that. I hope that's of some help!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design