ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Drawing board

Gallery
    View images

Drawing board

Hi All

Now that I found art rage, I get the feeling that the next purchase will be a drawing board.

I wanted to ask you guys for a recommendation for such a board.

I know that Wacom is the king of drawing boards, but the price is royal as well...

Can you suggest any other boards?
    Can you suggest the size of the board I should buy?

Thanks in advance!
    Hanan
    Hanan Moiseyev
    I love to scrawl, so I built a website to show my work... (you can share your work there as well)
    http://www.iscrawl.com

Gallery
    View images
    l can't recommend a graphics tablet (I think this is what a drawing board is called in the computer shops), but suggest you consider a tablet PC instead.

A graphics tablet still makes you draw an invisible drawing; draw under your hand but see the effects in front of you. This is not natural.

Tablet PCs allow you to draw on the screen itself; you see a line emerging right where you draw. Of course they come at a much higher price, but maybe cost is not the issue. Second-hand bargains can also be found sometimes.

Gallery
    View images
    Considering Wacoms aren't even available in the 'main' computer stores here, and I had to settle for a budget store-brand tablet... (6x8 inches) (also, had a student budget XD)

You can work with anything.
    Really, it's a matter of how much you wish to spend. The quality improves with cost...

Haven't tried the tablet pc's, though I'd like to - but one can certainly get used to a tablet (like drawing without looking down at your paper... allows you to concentrate more on the feel and what comes out than watching your hand move. Thoguh that might just be me >.>)

Gallery
    View images
    Hi FLynn

I do believe that it's easier for me to look at the string and scrawl on the pad (Like I do today with the mouse).

Could you send me the name of the board you use (You can do it in the PM to avoid the free ad)

Thanks,
    Hanan
    Hanan Moiseyev
    I love to scrawl, so I built a website to show my work... (you can share your work there as well)
    http://www.iscrawl.com

I have a large wacom intuos... For me the bigger the tablet the better the results. Others are OK with smaller tablets, but I get cramp on smaller sizes and find they don't have enough accuracy.

Pressure levels depend on software you are using and the driver. Personally I've found 512 levels of pressure sensitivity to be fine, others swear they need 1024.

As far as alternative brands, the only brand other than wacom that people I know have rated is Trust. I haven't used one myself, but I know plenty of people that have been stung by getting non wacom tablets.... the trust users never seem to complain though so it can't be bad.

In this day and age the best thing would be to try for yourself. Not really possible in shops these days but in the UK at least the returns policy means you can take it back with 14 days at most retailers if you don't like it.

If you decide for a tablet PC you need to make sure that it's pressure sensitive, some of them are not.
    See my Artrage gallery here
    click www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk to see my website