ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to make stencils from photos ?

How to make stencils from photos ?

I'm new with Artrage and at the moment trying to make a mountain-stencil from a photo. But I dont have no idea how to create it. I've tried with Gimp, with Artrage, I`'ve searched the forum but didn't find any tutorial for it.
    My question is, how can I create a stencil from a photo? I've read something about it in the Manual, but it doesn't really help me. Could someone post a little tutorial for me here in the forum ? I would be very glad for any help!
    Nicole

If you open the stencil palette by clicking on the link to it at the bottom of the ArtRage screen, you'll be presented with a number of categories. There's rulers, stencils, etc.
    Suppose you want to add a new image to use as a stencil in the 'stencils category.
    Click on that to open the category and use the sllder to the right to move down to the last one. Next to that is an empty square with 'Add New Stencil' written in it.
    Click that and then you can navigate to a folder and file on your hard drive.
    Note that you may have to alter the 'file type' to all files to be able to see the file types that will work. Ping is the best, but I've made any number using jpegs.
    Once you can see your files, click on the one you want and voila - it should be loaded for you to click on and use like those already there.

You may want to make you own folder category to store personally made stencils in. I'm on a pc and not particularly familiar with where things are on a mac. On a pc, if you navigate to
    C:\Program Files\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources\Stencils
    You can add a new file and name it. Next time you open AR it should be there waiting for you.

Hope that helps.
    Good luck and have fun with this great tool.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Thank you!

Thank you very much for your answer! I'll try it right now!

It was so simple...I'm sorry for my silly question
    I've tried it in a very complicated way!!
    Thank you ones more!
    It is a really great tool and I'm having a lot of fun with it!
    Nicole

That's very easy!! i'm excited with the results and i can't imagine all the things i can make with this impresive software in my Mac.

Thank you

Thank you so much for that answer. I had been trying to make a stencil manually by painting over a reference painting. I had no idea it was so easy!!!

Now I need to find a program to rotate and tilt pictures and keep their perspective etc. Just tried to make a stencil of a dresser and the picture I was working from is tilted and rotated a few degrees so it doesn't fit where I wanted it. I can rotate the stencil but only around one axis.

Nevertheless this was a fabulous answer because now I know an easy way to make a stencil if I can find the right picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickillus View Post
    If you open the stencil palette by clicking on the link to it at the bottom of the ArtRage screen, you'll be presented with a number of categories. There's rulers, stencils, etc.
    Suppose you want to add a new image to use as a stencil in the 'stencils category.
    Click on that to open the category and use the sllder to the right to move down to the last one. Next to that is an empty square with 'Add New Stencil' written in it.
    Click that and then you can navigate to a folder and file on your hard drive.
    Note that you may have to alter the 'file type' to all files to be able to see the file types that will work. Ping is the best, but I've made any number using jpegs.
    Once you can see your files, click on the one you want and voila - it should be loaded for you to click on and use like those already there.

You may want to make you own folder category to store personally made stencils in. I'm on a pc and not particularly familiar with where things are on a mac. On a pc, if you navigate to
    C:\Program Files\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources\Stencils
    You can add a new file and name it. Next time you open AR it should be there waiting for you.

Hope that helps.
    Good luck and have fun with this great tool.
    My artistic ability is strained to draw stick figures.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.