ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: FACEBOOK & CO... a warning!

Exclamation FACEBOOK & CO... a warning!

Maybe this thread sounds abit histerious...here's why:

Facebook and the other socialnetworks are a huge trend at the moment, i joined facebook a few weeks ago... and have uploaded alot of my artrage stuff there.... i like the functions and the overall idea.

Till today...since i read this passage in the facebook terms of use:

"When you post User Content to the Site, you authorize and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the User Content on the Site. By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing."

My only words then was WT*

I know everything on such websites get protocolled & backuped, but give a company such rights on my stuff is just... unbelieveable.

I have deleted my artrage album there (they can use the backup if they want). And in the future i only upload stuff wich dosen't matter for me...

What i learned now is:
    -read the term of use first
    -never upload my own works there again

I hope some of you get this warning (facebook artrage members) and i would be very interested what do you think about? or am i just crazy

Greetz maror
    Last edited by maror; 10-18-2008 at 11:54 AM.
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

You seems to be a very wise men indeed!
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

Yeah this can be devious but i think it's always like that for all social-network system... But read the whole paragraph, which is finishing as follow:

"(...)
    Facebook
    does not assert any ownership over your User Content; rather, as between us and you, subject to the rights granted to us in these Terms, you retain full ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content."

Just copyright your pictures, i don't think they will use this kind of user content... For sure, i won't post any project research sketch or very conceptual work there either... but some sketch and paintings

Here the Youtube one, for comparison. It's very similar but less confusing indeed:

"For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. However, by submitting the User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the YouTube Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels."

I think it's important to be careful everywhere. That means if you post content, get real rights from your sides by registration of the works via copyright agencies, for the most conceptuals especially. That the same with movies, animations movies or speedpainting we can see on videos...

So being aware is a good thing, but being paranoid is too late... they are already watching us

@orbital_chiller

well that's right...i don't loose my copyright, but with the terms above they can sell stuff and even give licences for my stuff to 3th party members. so they didn't violent my copyright...and can do everthing..

yeah i will upload just normal stuff...

edit:

about post 2: yeah thats very similar...
    and i agree with you, it seems to late... and we're supporting this huge "brother thing"

@dany51
    i hope so...
    Last edited by maror; 10-18-2008 at 12:44 PM.
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

that's pretty common.
    Increasingly license agreements are full of wide ranging and vague "cover everything" blurb that is very dangerous.

When Chrome (the new google developed web browser) was first launched as beta it had a similar clause. Just by using it you'd grant google publishing rights to any content that went through it. This is for web browsing software....

Google later claimed this was a mistake as a result of cut and paste from a standard license agreement ( hard to believe that it wouldn't have been passed through a team of lawyers first though) and released a modified license agreement that had this nonsense removed. (after a bunch of bad press)

Stuff like this really angers me though. Imagine FX have a clause in the license agreement for their forums that allows them a worldwide irrevocable re-publishing license in whatever media for any content that you post on their forums... Whilst i could use any publicity I can get this seems a bit much....

cgtalk and these artrage forums let you own your content. i don't know about deviant art as I never used it..

read the license agreements!
    this is why I use Linux and free open source software as much as I can!
    See my Artrage gallery here
    click www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk to see my website

As far as I know You can't use with Linux as many softs as with Windows;
    I would like to know if is speedy enough or have the same protocols as Windovs, I don't like Vista at all , I loose a lot of time with it.

how about You ?

As far as I know You can't use with Linux as many softs as with Windows;
    I would like to know if is speedy enough or have the same protocols as Windovs, I don't like Vista at all , I loose a lot of time with it.
    It's true that you can't run a lot of software but all the common needs are covered with entirely free alternatives.

open office is pretty capable and offers pretty much the same functionality as Microsoft office, all for no charge.

there's a thing called WINE that alows you to run windows software on linux as if it 's a native app... (some things will work faster than on windows, some slower). It gets better all the time and already does a great job running artrage.

some more complex apps may have issues....
    I'm not sure how it is these days but photoshop CS had problems running through wine...

interestingly I do a lot of 3d modelling. performance under linux is much better as these apps use open gl rather than direct x. I've had literally double the performance under linux ( I still have a copy of vista as a "dual boot setup which I very rarely use.)

Ubuntu linux is doing a pretty good job these days, but you still have top do a little work to get linux just how you want it....

but no more than if you ever bought a computer and had to install windows from scratch and all of the hardware drivers without any handy utility discs from the computer manufacturer....

the nice thing about linux is hardware usually "just works" when plugged in without any driver instalation or anything. When it doesn't just work is where you get into a world of pain! ( recently I got a tablet Pc ang getting the touch screen and wireless card to work took a lot of research and trial and error)
    See my Artrage gallery here
    click www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk to see my website

Thank you very much MichaelW for all that unswer,
    I have an old computer with Win2000prof and I would sacrifice it for experiments with Linux (I have a Dvd whit all in it about Linux) but the hard drive is very little, is possible to instal Linus on an external disk ?

I don't have much time now for that but I know that one day I will try it, is in plan from long time.I will remember your advise.

how about You ?