ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: First Real Painting

First Real Painting

I use Art Rage for making a variety of things except paintings. An example would be to take a photograph, convert it to an India Ink "drawing", make a stencil and color in things the way I wanted them to look. This time I thought I might try something original - This is what I used to see when I went to the beach to play my guitar in San Francisco where I grew up -- late spring and summer during the mid morning to afternoon before a class. That was many years ago and I am now on the East Coast so this was from memory. Low clouds blowing in off the ocean, with blue sky farther out, steady westerly winds were sometimes downright chilly. I am very fond of all things maritime and would like to be able to paint my own ships, seas, and weather conditions so this is a first step. I know I have a long way to go. Constructive criticism will be welcomed and appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A lookat the ocean.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	21320  
    “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Gallery
    View images
    I like this painting as it is, simple, clean colors, very fresh.
    If I have to critique some thing it would be the turquoise color under the ocean but still if you diminish the intensity you louse your effect because is the most prety color in there, prety but intense.
    I would say, begin another painting and let this like this but if you realy want to rework on it try to use a new layer and vary the turquoise with some very diluted oil , clean the layer until you get the result that make you happy.
    Welcome to the Forums.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Lew,
    Wonderful work on the sky and middleground. Your choice of foreground colors is a little jarring though. Nonetheless, it's a very good first effort. Keep at it and don't be hesitant about sharing with us.

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Lew, Hello!!! thanks for the story with your pretty painting, i love stories with paintings, well done!!!

Thanks for the critique... yes the foreground was a bit hard, I was trying to paint an iceplant covered sand dune which was common before actually getting to the beach, just south of Golden Gate Park before the Great Highway was modified (occasionally high winds would blow the sand on to the road and cause the road to be closed)

The water is not blue there especially with a cloud cover. Everytime I tried to change the colors it would all blend into what I had
    “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Gallery
    View images
    Assuming you have the full version, add your different colors on new layers. It's like painting over dried paint.