Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canvas controls when using a tablet?

Canvas controls when using a tablet?

I seen the shortcuts for easily panning, and zooming a canvas. But they don't seem to work to well with a tablet.

This is what I'm finding:

Pan canvas
    - Right-click - Causes a dob of paint before panning
    - Space + left-click - Works but feels awkward
    - Space + pen-drag - Doesn't work

Zoom canvas
    - Shift + right-click - Causes a dob of paint before zooming
    - Space + Shift + left-click - Works but feels awkward
    - Space + Shift + pen-drag - Doesn't work

In both cases I expected a pen movement to behave like a left-click-drag. I'm sure this is how many other applications treat it. The methods that do work are my least preferred because it feels less intuitive.

Is there a way to get more desirable behaviour?

Gallery
    View images
    I've just tested with both pen and mouse, everything works fine for me...

Pan canvas
    - Right-click - Be sure to take off the pen from the tablet before panning (or stop pressing LMB)
    - Space + left-click - Be sure to press spacebar first
    - Space + pen-drag - Be sure to press spacebar first

Zoom canvas
    - Shift + right-click - what is a "dob"? =P
    - Space + Shift + left-click - Works
    - Space + Shift + pen-drag - Space, shift and then pen drag, i have no problem with that

What computer are you using?
    Last edited by orbital_chiller; 10-17-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by microUgly View Post
    I seen the shortcuts for easily panning, and zooming a canvas. But they don't seem to work to well with a tablet.

This is what I'm finding:

Pan canvas
    - Right-click - Causes a dob of paint before panning
    - Space + left-click - Works but feels awkward
    - Space + pen-drag - Doesn't work

Zoom canvas
    - Shift + right-click - Causes a dob of paint before zooming
    - Space + Shift + left-click - Works but feels awkward
    - Space + Shift + pen-drag - Doesn't work

In both cases I expected a pen movement to behave like a left-click-drag. I'm sure this is how many other applications treat it. The methods that do work are my least preferred because it feels less intuitive.

Is there a way to get more desirable behaviour?
    Which model tablet are you using? All of your shortcuts work fine on my Wacom Intuos 3 tablet with the latest driver in win xp.

Gallery
    View images
    It's possibly what you have your tablet pen settings set to - I know I changed mine once or twice and would end up blobbing paint instead of dragging.

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry to tell you, but same here Micro.
    I'm on an Intuos3 with XP and everything worked fine right from the off without any tweaking. It's to to be your settings I reckon.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

You guys aren't familiar with a "dob" of paint? I thought maybe I had the word wrong since I can't find evidence of it on google, but my partner confirmed I had the word right. Must be a slang Anyway, replace "dob" with "blob". Basically Artrage draws some colour initially when I press the "right-click" button on my pen, and then stops and behaves as expected.

I also have an Intuos3 but I'm on Vista. I just updated to the latest drivers released two days ago. Any Vista users not having the problem?

I check my tablet configuration and the lower-pen-button is mapped to right-click and the upper-button is mapped to double-click. So space+upper-button works to pan the canvas. If I remap the upper-button to a single click it no longer works to pan the canvas and instead just draws.

Gallery
    View images
    I got what you meant
    Maybe it's dab you're thinking of? or glob? Dob is usually slang - to 'dob someone in' (ie tell on them)

I think it is the settings. I changed mine to something that sounds like yours in a fit of genius once. I generally just use the mouse, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn_the_Cat View Post
    I think it is the settings. I changed mine to something that sounds like yours in a fit of genius once.
    I can remap keys to get the same convienence I suppose (using the buttons on the tablet). Would be nice to know why the defaults don't work on my system though.

Gallery
    View images
    I confirm, "dob" is a word you invented ... though in merriam webster they say it's the abbreviation for "date of birth" . But of course we understood what you meant, it sounds just right hehe

Bah. Even if I map an express key to "Right-click", when I hold the key and use the pen to pan the canvas it draw a little. I don't think there's anything I can do in the Tablet Properties to get a configuration that works without holding multiple buttons down.

Does anyone know if it's possible to set an ExpressKey to both a keystroke and mouse button?