ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: can I use numerous existing scanned drawings in one image?

Gallery
    View images

can I use numerous existing scanned drawings in one image?

Hello,

I'm looking to create a picture made up of a conglomerate of different drawings I've done and which I already have scanned into my computer as jpegs (at least I think they're jpegs).
    The drawings will need to overlap one another. Can artrage do this?

I have looked at photo image editors but they don't seem to like images which aren't 'filled-in' with colour. My drawings are simply line drawings with no shading.

Please advise. Many thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    hmmm i'm not sure what you want.

tips:
    take another software like ps or gimp and create a one huge image with all your drawings. use the layers to fit them together! then you can import this image into artrage.

hope it helps!

greez

Gallery
    View images

Geez - what's PS?

Hi Geez, thanks for the reply. Am not sure what PS is (bar normal excel, word processing etc and a stint, many years ago, at Pagemaker, I'm pretty ignorant re software!).

In brief, what I'd like to do is to create a template comprising the name of a child and then various images, such as teddy bears, flowers etc etc, which I've already drawn and scanned - as individual images - which I can position around the name, enlarging or reducing the images as necessary, in order to create a good composition. I would then print off the complete page in order to trace around it onto art paper.

Does that make sense?

Gallery
    View images
    Well, although ArtRage isn't really intended as a digital image editor, you can do a bit of image compositing by using tracing paper, and converting it to paint.

Create a new painting. Load one of the images you want to composite as a tracing image. Use the tracing image editing tools to size and position the image (choose 'manual scale' from the scale options). Hit 'Done' when the image is in the correct place. Then select 'Convert tracing image to paint on this layer' from the menu.

That will drop the tracing paper into the layer as if it were painted there. Repeat for your other images.
    If your images have transparency (alpha) in places, that will let you have areas other than just rectangular pasted in.

And dont forget to clear the last tracing image so you can clearly see your resultant composition.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hi luckyluche,

Just as an asides about scaling bits and peices for youe composition. . .

Unless you are going to retrace your drawing once the individual elements have been assembled and composition is set, this is raster art and the pieces of the drawings could pixelate.

In other words, one way to corrupt your drawing is to shrink one of your teddy bears down, and then later decide you like it better large. When you scale it back up it will only have the resolution it did when it was smallest,

Also your line width will change if they were originally all the same size and later assembled at different sizes.

So, doing a trace over your composition is good. . .if it's an issue for you.

Your idea sounds cute!

Gallery
    View images

Hi, lonesome cowboy.

I have make few many-photo image with artrage2.

Taken photos jpg, load it layer, like Andy wrote.

Then i use mainly eraser tool.

I put one image to see how it's work.

Photos.

Top layer is photo of ice-surface.
    Second is small land-surface.
    Third one is small river.
    Fourth is photo of bottom of drinking glass.
    Fifth is digital photo of walking duck-pair.

Six and seven is made grain and colored painting process.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Wow, heikki, that's a big old palette!

Was it made for this project only or did you keep it there all the time when you're painting?

I like how you put them in a general order. Easier to work with I would imagine.

Cool. '8)'

Gallery
    View images
    You know, heikki, I was looking at that piece you have here, and I finally got the association I was trying to make.

I don't know if you had an intention to do so, but it reminds me a bit of surrealist Salvador Dali.

Maybe it's the color, the planes, I'm not sure. It has an interesting quality.

Gallery
    View images

Hi, DAkey.

I use different palettes and mainly i take colors to palette from digital photos, like nature photos, human skin colors, etc.

Dali, hmm. i dont know. I have not follow art or that kind because i have been electrician most of my life. This is my hobby what i like so much. And also i walk and take photos with digital camera. I make images with ar2-program, what i like and feel, and sometimes many paintings just born when i do it without thinking so much.

This duck-pair image looks better it's original size, 1600-1200pix. Mainly i add layers and testing eraser tool and then i notice that it is quite amazing tool to made digital images, like this duck-pair. It is not possible to design it, just test and do and test and so on.

Gallery
    View images
    Well heikki, I like your two ducks.

Doing what you love is the best reason I can think of for anything.

Your exploration method has great potential.

Someday perhaps I'll buy you a book on artists because your name will be in it.