ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This wedding shall not happen! WIP

Gallery
    View images

This wedding shall not happen! WIP

I resumed the tonal painting and I'm starting to paint it using only the colour palette I got from mixing the "adjusted" Velasquez/ ancient painters three colours (I had to add a green) plus white!
    Here's the first step! It keeps reasonably harmonic so far I think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	This wedding shall not happen! WIP.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	374.2 KB 
ID:	21026  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Gallery
    View images
    as i wrote in my tread...your humans are wonderful, great expressions and nice poses. And also another very nice story behind... poor guy

I wonder how these colors work in the final piece...looks quite good so far (the sky is a bit to blue, but it not yet finished so this dosen't count yet.)

Good luck!

Maror
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Gallery
    View images
    Right Maror! The sky will be fine tuned better later on, depending on the rest, in the meanwhile I start putting some little sky faint tone in the far field hills and rocks too.
    As for the figures I use to have two approaches: one is more concentrated on lines and on volumes as seen in perspective (good for most of case just for sketching and rough tonal zones), the other going a bit casually (in the right places too), also with some thick tonal pass to help grasping a mental view and then erasing appropriately what does not seem to fit. In both case i think that years of passion, reviewing of masterpieces, books reading (and probably a favourable mental circuitry, since I can do this as well as caricatures quite easily) are of help too!

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Caesar,it's getting better and better, there is a feeling of tension to the painting,, where is the bride and how does the story end???

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Lee, the story happ4ns In Lombardia, the Milan region, in the XVI/ XVII century, a period when they were under the Spanish domination.
    Everything starts when an arrogant and bossy noble, Don Rodrigo, saw a girl of a village near the Como Lake (the one where George Clooney has a villa), Lucia and got infatuated with her. Since Lucia was going to marry Renzo, a good youngster, he sent two "bravos" (personal bodyguards as well as felons) to wait for, scare and threaten the coward village priest Don Abbondio so as not to marry the two finding appropriate excuses while he's setting up a plan to kidnap the girl.
    I cannot write all the rest of the long story with so many memorable characters and events, rich of historical and geographical scenarios as well, comedy and drama (e.g. the great pestilence epidemy). I can just say that there's an happy ending, for the two at least, after many alternate moments of despair and trust in the Divine Providence. Absolutely worthwhile reading, especially in Italian where it set a top literary milestone and a mine of expressions and idiomatic sentences we still use abudantly!

Gallery
    View images
    As it is, it looks like a wonderful illustration for the drama. When its done, it should be one of your best ones yet!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Ceasar, thank you so much for the information about your painting's story, and what a good story!!! with a happy ending! sounds like an opera or stage play or movie just waiting to be made, funny thing about history, around here an antique is maybe 50-200 years old, in Italy or Asia or other continents antiques are 500-1000 years old or more, we have a lot of growing up to do,,,,

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Scott! I hope so, but it was initially intended as a Velasquez palette demonstration, so I hope I can get a good painting within my given limitations to follow this palette and the classic approach, so I cannot grant anything here (I'm obviously light-years far from Velasquez!).

Thanks, dear Lee!
    I think we all need to go beyond our own history and culture and backward enough to better understand our world, I agree.
    This means that Egyptian, Persian, Indian, Maya, Incas, Chinese etc. history, culture and civilisation cannot be seen as strangers' topics, since it deals with human beings like me and there's always some Universal lesson to learn and share. I'm glad You realize this as well.
    It's also as much important to learn of our cultural roots since ancient time and US history is just part (a very important one, but still a recent facet) of European and Mediterranean millenarian history, not just another planet starting from scratches after some British colony people became separated from that Crown.
    British, on their turn, are just another, elder than Americans, European civilisation and culture sprout, not among the least peculiar, I must admit, but still a former Roman and then French colony!
    I hope You can have the opportunity to read the book I'm referring to in here (in Italian each word and sound are a pleasure, selected after many refinements, as it happens with Flaubert for French) as well as others, for instance one by Giovanni Verga or some of the major French novelists etc. or calssic poetries, theater from all over Europe produced since ancient time; even if it's impossible to transpose perfectly from a language to another all the "colours", when it deals with masterpieces, You always get an incredible wealth for Your mind and life!

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Caesar, thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge, something many of the generous ArtRagers do here, and a way to be exposed to that knowledge we never had the opportunity before !!!

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Lee. Little time, little advance. Here it is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	This wedding shall not happen! WIP2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	382.4 KB 
ID:	21495