Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: venice-london. FINISHED!!!!

Save several versions and everything will be alright This look awesome and btw, thank you so much to share this step by step work in progress, it's very interesting.

Michael, you've obviously put a lot of mental energy into this. I imagine it has been occupying your mind even while you sleep. There's no time limit here; in fact, it's amazing how far it has come in relatively little time. To my eye it looks fantastic. Of course, I have no way of knowing what your vision is as to the final look and feel.
    Anyway, I hope you won't beat yourself up too badly in the meantime.

So far, so very good! I have no idea about your life, work, time contraints, etc. But as Robert suggested there are no time limits for us here. But Im sure you want to see this completed! Its obviously occupying your thoughts.

The same happens to me when something starts to take form. I think about it all the time. Not to suggest that I paint at your level, but we all do what we can do. Recently, Ive stopped painting missions, Im not on a mission, and I certainly dont paint for a commission. I do this for the sheer joy and, at times, misery of the experience.

So looking forward to the finished piece!
    Last edited by ScottF; 10-14-2008 at 07:37 PM.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Orbital Chiller... I'm saving increments often. Handy as I don't use layers that much! I needed them this morning...

Robert and Scott, lots of mental energy, yes!
    I was hoping to go super detailed on this, it's not what I usually do, but I need to move on to another piece for some speculative work. I won't be able to do that with this piece "unfinished" so today is the day!

I do think it's strange that every piece seems to be taken to a point where it's a big struggle, everytime. Stressful but engaging and rewarding in the end. Perhaps that's why I do it and I can't imagine it any other way.

I've taken out a lot of the details I painted in my last session, added lots more mist and am experimenting with some really quite acid accent colours. It feels like the way forward, though in terms of finish will be more "natural" to my normal painting style, but less ambitious than what I was trying.
    See my Artrage gallery here
    click www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk to see my website

Hi michaelw,

well the last one is pretty good, love the colors and how you flesh out the details with rimlights and indirect light. I can clearly see that you know how light interacts with the different materials...

Well superdetailed is nice, but as you mentioned, it's pretty hard to have the patience to do that... and in my opinion superdetailed could be even worser than a speedpaint...because the elements doesn't fit in the end.
    That's my experience with "superdetailed"...

the main goal (my opinion) for concepts should be: High output, less time & only the strokes wich are "necessary" to push the viewer into the idea

Edit:
    why is making art always so painful?
    ...i didn't "hear" that, right?!

But i hope we can push your patience as you did by my picture... and that was indeed a success

So far, so good...

Greetz maror
    Last edited by maror; 10-14-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

the main goal (my opinion) for concepts should be: High output, less time & only the strokes wich are "necessary" to push the viewer into the idea
    Amen to that, and that's where the bulk of my paid work has come from.

I've found that people who know me and have worked with me are giving me the work no problem....but when I'm pitching "cold" to games companies that I haven't worked with before I'm rarely getting work. Feedback in that area has been that I lack "super detailed" highly finished work in my portfolio...

The difference is between illustration and concept art... in illustration the stylistic choices and finish are key, in concept art it's the content... they are just stepping stones, "working drawings" to the final product after all.

Ironically finish rather than ideas are what get you theconcept jobs in my experience... once you're on contract though, that's when you have to crank it out!

Personally I think that "going deep" will teach me a lot and stretch me (it is so far) even though that's not how this piece ends...

Quote Originally Posted by michaelw View Post
    Amen to that, and that's where the bulk of my paid work has come from.

I've found that people who know me and have worked with me are giving me the work no problem....but when I'm pitching "cold" to games companies that I haven't worked with before I'm rarely getting work. Feedback in that area has been that I lack "super detailed" highly finished work in my portfolio...

The difference is between illustration and concept art... in illustration the stylistic choices and finish are key, in concept art it's the content... they are just stepping stones, "working drawings" to the final product after all.

Ironically finish rather than ideas are what get you theconcept jobs in my experience... once you're on contract though, that's when you have to crank it out!

Personally I think that "going deep" will teach me a lot and stretch me (it is so far) even though that's not how this piece ends...
    Boy, does that sound familiar. I think cold pitching is always a tough proposition. You can't beat yourself up overmuch.

I always found that following a string of contacts is a good thing -- networking is the key to steady employment. And a well placed word by the right person almost makes a portfolio unnecessary. . . once one is known and has proven they can deliver.

And pain is one of the things that I regularly experienced. Wish I liked that part of it more. But it's great when that moment flips over to where it just clicks and it's a sprint to the finish.

The pain part goes away with doing the same thing a lot and you stay in the zone for longer stretches at a time. But we're not unlike concert pianists who have to practice and practice all the time or they suck.

But when you know where you're going and what works, and they came to you because it is what you do, it's a matter of riding the wave. But before one hits that point, it's pain -- growing pains and dissatisfaction over one's style, and sometimes problems occur by letting one's self cool off too much.

You'll do well once it all clicks and you get so busy you haven't got time to concern yourself with that cloying little voice that eats away at your self confidence.

You're doing great. Just keep pushing through it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks D Akey!

Can't .....

talk....

must....

paint!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelw View Post
    Thanks D Akey!

Can't .....

talk....

must....

paint!
    HAhaha. You should put some sweat flinging from your avatar.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Both are very informative comments, great for someone like me wich try to get into this industry, but don't know how exactly....

@michaelw

Well i look trough your website a few times yet, and as far i can see you had some pretty good jobs i think (burnout, ea)... so this sould be very good commendations for further clients...

what is the standart portfolio in these business: a folder with prints, a website, a presentation, a book...?

Btw: It's sounds a bit hard... but maybe your website dosen't look to serious... and well some high detailed pieces and a new layout could polish it up...

@d akey

i agree with you in every part, today you can't reach higher levels with just trust in your talent. It's all about marketing, talent is just a lucky addition...too bad

And well networking can push you, but can also make you very sad when you see all that talented youngsters around...it's always a question about how you feel!

So i know what i have to do... make some great piece (visually stunning) with lack of ideas...and set them up in a portfolio

Good luck everybody... art isn't compatible with a luxury live

Edit: hehe... i missed the last two post...
    Last edited by maror; 10-15-2008 at 12:00 AM.
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2