ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: What kind of pen and tablet will work with Rage 2.5

Smile What kind of pen and tablet will work with Rage 2.5

Hi,

I'm a newbe and I'm thinking about getting a pen and tablet, but I don't have a clue to what kind. I just downloaded Rage 2.5 full version, and it looks like a great program. Oh yeah, I have windows XP. Please advise.

It's so hard for me to believe the beautiful paintings you all did were on the Rage 2.

Do you think it's easier to paint on the computer, or paint with oil on a canvas?

Will using a pen instead of the mouse make a lot of difference?

I guess you see I like playing with these smilly faces!

Bettyeliz
    Last edited by Bettyeliz; 10-06-2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: misspelled word

That's okay, I like them, too. I personally have a intuos 2, and an intuos 3 that is in the repair shop at the moment. They are both wacom, but there are bamboo fun tablets that some people use, and there is another brand of tablet out there but I'm not sure what it is. I kinda favor Wacom. But it definitely helps if you have a tablet, although some people can do some beautiful art with just a mouse pad. You just have to fiddle around to see what you like. And if you can, get a used one from ebay or some other auction because wacom are expensive and you don't wnat to get a 250 dollar tablet and not like it.
    Hope this helps!
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

A Wacom Bamboo (atleast mine) was only $80 USD. Using artrage is better (atleast in my mind). You cant erase oil. And yes, some people can do wonders with a mouse, but a tablet makes a hell of alot of difference in precision.

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    Hi there Betty.....

I have two tablets.....and may have used them two times. LOL. I just prefer my mouse. But then I started out in artrage using my mouse. It just depends on the person. Welcome!!!
    Do we have to accept what life hands us? Or can we say no thank you and ask for a different flavor?

dali

Hi dali,

Thanks for the reply! I had never even heard of painting on the computer until a short time ago, so it helps to hear others opinons.

I've been looking at the wacom brand online and they are expensive, and the bigger they are the more they cost. I would think I could draw and paint better with a pencil, but I'm no artist. I took a class of oil painting last spring, and all I got out of it was a coffee cup, and a paint wheel on canvas, and lots of tubes of paint. I couldn't stand the paint smell, so I had to wear a mask. Then I bought a bunch of acrylic paint, and I couldn't do anything with it, so then I bought water mixable paint, and a bunch of CD's to teach me to paint.

What about the size of the tablet you draw on some are so small. I got to go to bed.

Thanks again
    Betty

Chris772

Hi Chris772,

Thanks for the fast response. I would think that the tablet would be easier to use. No, you can't erase oil, but you can paint over it! Yes it's easier just to erase the mistakes. I looked at Wacom Bambo tablets online today.

What size tablet do you prefer, the part you actually draw on?

Thanks again
    Betty

Juliediane

Hi Juliediane,

Thanks for responding so quick! I can't believe with two tablets and you still use your mouse. Well, that makes me think of my mother and my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law had three sewing machines, and they had every gaget you could imagine on them, but very little could she do on them. My mother had one worn out sewing machine, and she could design and sew anything. Like my brother-in-law used to play on an old worn out piano, and make it sound like it was worth a million bucks. When I tried to play his piano it sounded like it was worth two cents.

Well, it all boils down to TALENT!!!!!!!!
    Maybe I need to stick to things I know whatever that is!

I sound just like the old woman at the doctors office today! She just about talked the woman to death that was sitting beside her, and she was so loud everyone heard the conversation!

Goodnight
    Betty

You use most of the tablet, but the software that comes with it auto-adjusts the surface area of the tablet to the ammount of space you have on your computer screen. So if you want to paint in the corner, you move to the corner, want to paint in the center, move the stylus to the center. All you have to do is hover the stylus over the place you want to do something to, then adjust to get to the spot you want. Dont worry about the size. It seems small at first, but it does an excelent job. Once you get used to it, it will be faster than using a mouse.