ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chimayo WIP3

Gallery
    View images

Chimayo WIP3

Iīm still at it.

This is probably the last version before the Gallery. Itīs been slow going, and I havenīt been able to paint as many hours a day as normal.

Lotīs to do (obviously), but Iīll hang in there until it gets done. I think my next project will be something in the dry, high desert. Iīm seeing various hues of green in my sleep right now.

Thanks for your patience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chimayo_WIP3.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	289.9 KB 
ID:	20922  
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    Apart from this marvellous and sure new winner, dear Scott, I notice You proceed from near field to the sky, contrary to the usual approach in real painting!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Gallery
    View images
    Very nice...i love the overbrighten sky (will you add some blue??)
    Well the most wonderful thing is the left part of the gate. Just cool how the plant grow up there (btw nothing wich is really important, but the light on the this door seem to be wrong, it must be much darker i guess!)

Edit: Ah no...no faults there, there sun is shining from the top right so it's correct

Greez maror
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks guys for taking a look!

Caesar: I guess one of the good things about having no training is that you donīt know what youīre "supposed" to do.

I really love the lighting on the left hand gate door.

On the "front to back" thing, do you just insert layers behind or keep working "on top" being cautious to not overpaint the fore ground?

Looking very nice so far!
    See my Artrage gallery here
    click www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk to see my website

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks michaelw!

As far as layers go, I started out working with many layers open at the same time, carefully naming them, etc. That works, but not very well. Blending becomes a problem.

Now I start something and get the first part like I want it. Then I open a layer and work around that adding to it--either in front or back, depending on the situation. When that next bit is done, I save a copy with the layers intact, then merge the first two layers. Then I continue in the same manner for however long and however many layers it takes. Seldom do I have more than two layers working at the same time anymore.

Gallery
    View images
    Nice old world image with modern paint sensibilities and palette.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
    Thanks michaelw!

Seldom do I have more than two layers working at the same time anymore.
    I have a similar approach, but am increasingly fond of a "paper" layer as the first (for canvas texture) and all the paint on the second layer with a "scratch" layer on the third for "experiments" that is merged down often and replaced by a new one.

Looking forward to seeing this one!
    See my Artrage gallery here
    click www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk to see my website

Gallery
    View images
    Gorgeous place, makes me want to go inside a look around. The way you painted the wall, arch and gate is very lovely!

Gallery
    View images
    beautifully done...the light on the top of the wall and on the gate is just fantastic..very patient work this looks so real i keep wanting to look again
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~