ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: girl

girl

I drew this image today with no references. I know that the symmetry is slightly off. But I could do with some tips for skin tones and textures please.

Any general advice on how to improve would be great too

Thanks
    Rax
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	girl.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	20709  

The skin coloring itself is fine, but before I critique, I just have one question. Is this a stylized impression, or are you going for realism.
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Dali makes a good point. That will make a difference in how to answer. And she can answer very well about the art technique.

I'll talk about where I think this could be used with no changes at all.

I could see something like this used as a spot illustration in a woman's magazine. It has a personal, hand done feel, as if someone sees themselves as a caricaturized character in their own anecdotal story or personal journal if this look more or less resembled the author.

Or, owing to it's non-specific every woman quality, it could be like someone who is acting out/illustrating some process that is being written about -- morning routine kind of thing. Stylizations like this are useful in that they don't resemble a particular person with the detail of a portrait, so they can sorta represent an character who a wider range of readers could relate to.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dali - In the long run I would prefer a bit more realism... but probably going towards fantasy style art which I love. I think I prefer gentler gradients on the skin tones, a bit more realistic shadows? But the how tends to perplex me.. especially since I don't practice enough!

While I didn't try to copy this workshop from imagineFX .. it did kinda inspire me to do this painting: http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754333...portraits.html

D Akey - I feel quite pleased that you think the painting can be used Thanks! I see what kind of feel you say it has.. I didn't look at it in that way when I was doing it!

Okay, going on what I think you might be asking for, a little more gradual blend of the toning, it's tricky. I put up a tutorial on portraits at this link that gives some examples on blending and tone.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=14890

The coloring itself is great, most people don't think of using blues and purples in the face, but it is there in subtle strokes. Even green can be used in small increments. Practice using light strokes with the palette knife for easier blending, or very light strokes with the airbrush, using an oversized airbrush usually works. Fantasy realism is difficult, and most of the time the artists use photoshop with the airbrush mode, but I find artrage easier to use. Shorten the face and make the eyes rounder for a more manga style. But you are off to a great start. You have an excellent balance in color and shadow. Hope this helps.
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Also don't forget to study painting hair!
    Last edited by Jester2001; 09-30-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks for the link to the tut and comments Dali. I'll give it a go again this weekend when I have more time

LOL - Thanks Jester! I'll look at hair as well