Thread: New idea, any suggestions?

Gallery
    View images

Talking New idea, any suggestions?

Hi, I am asking for advice on how to get the trees to look more realistic, I know it is highly stylized, but I can't seem to figure out where the light source is coming from. And should the daisy come forward, spilling off the canvas so we can see her face better? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clique.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	20641  

Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    What a wonderful setting! There's so much you can do with this. For instance, you could make the flower a lightsource and create more contrast by darkening it's surroundings.

As for the trees, I'd make it look more dramatic by letting them flee for the light. But for this they shouldn't have that friendly look on their faces..
    Also, for adding some more 'realism' I'd add a tad more detail and texture.

Here's an example, hope this helps..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    I really like what you've done with the leaves, although I don't want it to be scary, they are more jealous of the flower. I'll see what I can do. Thanks!
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    Spooky or not, snooty jealous trees go back to Snow White and the Wizard of Oz and their jagged lightning bolt limbs and, wrinkled gnarled faces were expressionistic and spooky.

I mean it's sort of surreal enough to cause dismay for us poor mortals at the very least. If you want to lighten the tone, you are going to have to exaggerate the facial expressions such that they look more or less harmless, but with an attitude -- either inept and jealous or noses turned up in mild disdain. Thin line, I know.

Also lightening things up in value might make it less threatening. Deep shadows in a dark enchanted forest are going to trigger primal responses to the dangerous.

You can also keep the warmer colors near the source and cool them as they get more distant. That way it's not all beholding to the values only. What you're really wanting to do is show a difference in tonality to reflect what is going on psychologically.

For the simple value lighting, I would pick a light source -- what? the daisy having the light emanating from it. If so, plot it out accordingly and keep it consistent. And then, if you feel up to it, you can do a little secondary light on the trees -- with a green tinge perhaps to show off their jealousy. . . and/or a little rim light to snazz it up a bit and define the form of the trees if they are getting too dark and lost against the background.

It's a complicated thing, and anything you do is going to push the mood in one particular direction or other. So you may want to get clear on what you want to say and then light it for that mood.

And if you aren't clear on it, then do some research for pics that match where you want to go and borrow some tried and true ideas from that. There are a ton of animated movies that have dramatic lighting, and if you buy, rent or borrow a DVD you can run through it doing some screen grabs for reference that can be analyzed.

Hope this helps.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images

Questions versus sugestions

If the trees are jealous of the flower why is the flower sad? Also the lighting seams to be off. The flower seams to to be in the sun yet the tree trunks and lower part of the leafs have light on them. Seams like the light should be higher on the the top of the trees leaving the trunks darker which would give the trees a reason to be sad. You have a cool Disney kinda artsy thing going on.