Thread: Any way to remove the background layer?

Any way to remove the background layer?

OK,..this may seem like a dumb question, but I'm asking anyway because it bothers me. ArtRage for some reason likes to have the background layer with a colored or shall I say NON transparent background. This drives me nuts especially if I decide to export out of ArtRage for further touch ups in another program thus not wanting a solid background behind the art. I tried to delete the background layer as I can do in any other program,..but it won't let me do it. What is the trick?

Another issue that has cropped up lately in my work flow process is that when I export an interlaced png file with no background from Xara, it always comes into ArtRage with an ugly white background thus disallowing me to paint behind the lines or image. I'm forced to export from Xara to Photoshop and then re-export out as png and then it comes into ArtRage fine without any background. Weird!!!

Any help with these two issues would be greatly appreciated from the Rage experts (which I do NOT profess to be)

td
    Todd P. Dolce

Gallery
    View images
    I can't help you with the .png file issue, but the need for a transparent background is an easy fix. There's actually a couple things you can do:

Option 1.)

Right click on the bottom layer (or click the black arrow on the bottom layer) to pull up the layer menu.

Select "Edit Paper Settings". Locate the "Opacity" option towards the bottom middle of the window and change the setting to "0%".

Option 2.)

Move the bottom layer above one of the other layers and select "Delete Layer" from the layer menu.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Ok,...so either I'm a complete moron for not seeing this or you're a genius. Let's make everyone happy and just say that you're a genius!!

thanks!
    td
    Todd P. Dolce

Gallery
    View images
    Regarding imported PNGs from Xara which have transparent backgrounds, I'm not sure what is causing that. ArtRage uses operating system libraries for importing and exporting of images ( except for PSD where we use our own reader / writer ), so perhaps there's some difference in standard there, if you're able to open it Photoshop, then resave and have ArtRage get an image with a transparent background as a result.

It might be worthwhile checking to see if there are any other export settings for PNGs with Xara and seeing if there's one which comes through to ArtRage without the need to jump into Photoshop between. I hope that's of some help, anyway!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Dave,

That is helpful and a good idea. I will look into that from Xara's end and see if there are indeed any other options. It's merely a small issue,..but still it kills time and adds an extra step that ultimately does end up slowing me down.

td

UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! THANKS SO MUCH TO BOTH OF YOU FOR HELPING ME SORT THROUGH THIS!!!!!! Sometimes it just helps me by writing out my dilemmas and having an open discussion. The issue with the png file is resolved!

When exporting out as .png file in Xara there is an extra option that asks if you would like it "interlaced". YES!!! That is indeed what I forgot to check. Once you do,..walaah it appears in Rage with no white background!!! The clue was that Photoshop automatically would ask me if I wanted it interlaced before exporting it out. You have to LOOK for the options tab in Xara when the export menu pops up to find it.

There was always a backup plan too based on the first solution to the background layer issue. I could have always changed the opacity of the paper to 0% and that too would have eliminated the white background as well. Either way,....I'm a VERY HAPPY guy!!!!

Now,...I will await Rage 3 to complete me!!!!
    Last edited by TDolce; 09-25-2008 at 02:19 PM.
    Todd P. Dolce

Gallery
    View images
    Awesome! Really happy to hear that it's working for you. Thanks for the update too, I'll remember that if I run into a similar problem in future.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design