ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage UltraMobile -- any examples of work?

ArtRage UltraMobile -- any examples of work?

Hiya ArtRageous Folk...

I've been wondering if ArtRage on the UltraMobile platform has been used to make some work that we can take a look at?

Am I assuming right that the UltraMobile devices mostly use touch-screen input, and not active stylusses?

If that's the case, I'd LOVE to see some work. Cos I've basically been rejecting UltraMobiles simply cos I had made the assumption that ArtRage wouldn't work terribly well on devices using just a touch screen.

Are my assumptions about touch screen vs active input correct?

Are the works as rich on an UltraMobile as they are on a proper tablet pc?

Please let me know!

(One of the biggest reasons I'd love to know is that my tv show starts on Saturday 4 October on CNBC Africa, and computer companies are already approaching me to use their machines live on air as I paint visual interpretations of the live interviews we'll be conducting. I've pretty much said that if it isn't a high-end tablet pc, I can't use it.)

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Hi Roy,

Unfortunately we don't have any sample works from UMPC users here at Ambient. You're correct, UMPCs use touch-screen input. Therefore, they don't have pressure support which doesn't give as good a result as say, the tabletPC you're using. In general the screen real estate tends to be somewhat less than a TabletPC due to size constraints, which is why the UMPC version has a more minimal interface.

Really neat that you have so much interest from different computer companies in your show, I hope it goes well for you!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Hi Roy,

Unfortunately we don't have any sample works from UMPC users here at Ambient. You're correct, UMPCs use touch-screen input. Therefore, they don't have pressure support which doesn't give as good a result as say, the tabletPC you're using. In general the screen real estate tends to be somewhat less than a TabletPC due to size constraints, which is why the UMPC version has a more minimal interface.

Really neat that you have so much interest from different computer companies in your show, I hope it goes well for you!
    Is an Ultra Mobile like an Asus EEE net computer? Or is it more like a Blackberry type device?

Cheers

Doug

The ASUS EEE I believe, doesn't have a touchscreen. The term UMPC has been a bit broadened lately by the sound of it, but it's basically like a mini TabletPC with a touchscreen as opposed to a pressure sensitive screen like the TabletPC.

There's an image of one here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-Mobile_PC
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hiya DaveRage...

Thanks for the answer! I reckon before long I'll be able to provide you with some images (and video footage) of me using Ultra-Mobile ArtRage.

Last night I picked up my Asus R1E from Rectron, the guys who are sponsoring my tablet pc needs for the tv show. And the dude I collected it from showed me a little machine (I'll get full details soon) that blew me away.

He'd already installed the demo version of ArtRage (not the ultra-mobile). So I gave it a few scritchy scratches, and ArtRage works brilliantly using a touch screen. Sure, there'll be some minor adjustments, cos it's not pressure sensitive. But ArtRage seems to be able to 'guess' what's required. I'm impressed.

More impressive was the price of the machine. This dude reckons they'll be retailing in South Africa at between R5000 and R6000. That works out to under US$500. And it's a real little performer! I think the screen was around 9 inches diag. I think with full ArtRage for the ultra mobile, it'll be a killer machine for artists to tote around.

If I ever get to use it on-air, I'll definitely zap you video links.

Thanks yet again for making the MOST awesome art software. (Who woulda thought that I'd be making my hardware purchasing decisions around ONE piece of software? It's my only question... Will ArtRage work perfectly on THIS machine?)

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

@dougb....

One of the machines the Rectron guy showed me last night is a VERY small device. It's pretty much a 'web tablet'. It's a tad larger than would comfortably fit in a top pocket. Think the size of one of those tin pencil cases from the old days. The ones that held compasses and other drawing equipment.

There are now LOADS of machines that have a decent display resolution, touch screen, big-ish processing power, and big harddrives.

The idea is that you can slip them into a briefcase or handbag, and not notice them.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Aaaaaaaargh! I keep forgetting to tick the 'instant email notification' button. Hence this message.

Seriously, Rage folks... the button is NOT in the right place in terms of UI of the forum. And it's way too easy to not click it. Please change it so that it's easier to use. Pretty please? I can't be the only person suffering under this?

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

I use Art Rage 2.5 UMPC on a Samsung Q1 Ultra, and find it works well. You draw directly on the screen.
    Only limitation that I found is that the Q1 can run out of steam with very fast brushstrokes, sooner than a dual-core desktop CPU, but that's to be expected.
    In terms of the drawing experience, I much rather draw slow but on the screen instead of using a graphics tablet or mouse, which simply are useless for artistic work in my opinion.

Hiya Priceless...

Thanks for your post!

Have you put any examples of your work online? I'd love to see what kind of results are possible with a touchscreen.

When I first started out in digital art, I used a tiny HP palmtop with a touchscreen, and a very unsophisticated artmaking prog. And I managed to get some good stuff coming out of that combo.

I'm imagining that ArtRage gives an almost full experience.

I'm a tablet-pc user. So I'm using a bigger-brother version of your machine.

Blue skies
    Love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

I don't have any ArtRage examples to post, unfortunately. My artwork happens on real canvas with real paint. You just don't get the smell of turpentine and dammar in ArtRage, you see :-)

I use ArtRage only for sketching and trying out of ideas, but I have two licenses: one for a fairly high-power desktop PC, and one for the UMPC. This is because I found ArtRage before I learned of the UltraMobile version (or maybe before it existed); between the two, I mostly use ArtRage UltraMobile. I also have a 14" tablet PC, but don't have ArtRage installed there.

If you have a tablet, try it out. I think there is a free download, and the fully licensed version is only $25 - that's practically free for a complex piece of software.

Drawing on the screen is way superior to drawing on the mouse pad or graphics tablet because of the direct link between what and where you draw and what and where you see the results. Having said that, several classic teaching techinques in figurative painting or drawing force you to do that disconnect. Popular exercised include drawing with blindfolded eyes, drawing while only looking at the model and never looking at the canvas or paper, drawing with your inferior hand, stuff like that. It helps to get your mind relaxed and helps to paint, rather than trying (and failing) to copy what you see. In that sense, working with a graphics tablet could actually be interesting.

I'd be surprised if I turned into an ArtRage on graphics table enthusiast (I love my Samsung Q1 Ultra way too much), but I might just go and borrow my neighbour's graphics tablet for a quicky...