Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portrait tutorial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Portrait tutorial

Everyone does portraits differently. I've been painting and drawing them the traditional way for a good number of years. But Artrage makes it easy to do them digitally. Here is my method.

Step 1, find a reference picture and use the trace mode and the pencil to gently trace details like the eyes, nose, mouth, hair etc. This is important for placement, and makes it super easy so you can concentrate on shading and blending. Then clear the trace and open the picture for a reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Once that is done, I usually like to work on the eyes first. Open a new layer and bring the picture in close so you can see just the eyes. Use a small oil brush to color the whites of the eyes. Don't use flat white, because the sclera are rarely ever plain white. Usually a little blueish/gray. With a colored pencil, darken the rim around the colored parts of the eyes. Highlight the bottom half with a lighter color, and darken the top layer that will be directly beneath the eyelid. Use a small airbrush with black to create the pupil, and white for the glare.
    Visit my Gallery!

Once the eyes are completed, open another layer and block in a base color for the flesh. Once that is done, I use the erase to smooth the edges. Then I personally like making a stencil of the face, because then I can paint without worrying about the eyes, and it also helps keeping the edge of the face crisp so that you don't need to constantly erase paint that goes outside the contours of the face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture-3tutorial.jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	20430  
    Visit my Gallery!

Now that we have the face painted, and the areas beyond masked, we can start blocking in additional colors. Look at your reference carefully and add colors to the areas along the cheeks, chin, forehead, nose, etc. You don't need perfection just yet, just add colors and not too heavily. Then take the knife tool and smooth and blend the areas, using both shirt and long strokes to get the best blend.
    Visit my Gallery!

Now, use the small paintbrush and the pencil to add the nose and mouth. You can also further blend with a small knife, but be careful you don't blend too much.
    Visit my Gallery!

Use a pencil and small brush to detail the eyes. Pay close attention to eyelashes. Don't have one eyelash then another. They are usually tightly packed, or touching one another. Look at your own in a mirror. I also begin to smooth the face and add lighter values with the airbrush. Be sure to use a larger airbrush with small, quick strokes. Don't let the airbrush stay in one place too long or you will add too much paint to one spot.
    Visit my Gallery!

Really well thought out and well presented.

Talking

Thanks everyone, if anyone uses the technique for a portrait please post it, I would love to see everyone's work.
    Visit my Gallery!

Thank you very much, dali. I think, this is very good lesson and tutorial for us. Very useful for reference to paint portrait.
    There are full of an artistic objects and environment surrounding us. So donít worry to get any idea for painting.....Khalid
    My Gallery : Khalid_ipda
    My Tutorial : How to paint water? How to paint trees? How to paint waterfall?
    My 2nd email:
    [email protected]

Great tutor. Thank your for sharing! DoodLS