ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portrait tutorial

Gallery
    View images

Talking Portrait tutorial

Everyone does portraits differently. I've been painting and drawing them the traditional way for a good number of years. But Artrage makes it easy to do them digitally. Here is my method.

Step 1, find a reference picture and use the trace mode and the pencil to gently trace details like the eyes, nose, mouth, hair etc. This is important for placement, and makes it super easy so you can concentrate on shading and blending. Then clear the trace and open the picture for a reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Secret to happiness? Get yourself a hobby!
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    Once that is done, I usually like to work on the eyes first. Open a new layer and bring the picture in close so you can see just the eyes. Use a small oil brush to color the whites of the eyes. Don't use flat white, because the sclera are rarely ever plain white. Usually a little blueish/gray. With a colored pencil, darken the rim around the colored parts of the eyes. Highlight the bottom half with a lighter color, and darken the top layer that will be directly beneath the eyelid. Use a small airbrush with black to create the pupil, and white for the glare.
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    Once the eyes are completed, open another layer and block in a base color for the flesh. Once that is done, I use the erase to smooth the edges. Then I personally like making a stencil of the face, because then I can paint without worrying about the eyes, and it also helps keeping the edge of the face crisp so that you don't need to constantly erase paint that goes outside the contours of the face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture-3tutorial.jpg 
Views:	680 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	20430  
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    Now that we have the face painted, and the areas beyond masked, we can start blocking in additional colors. Look at your reference carefully and add colors to the areas along the cheeks, chin, forehead, nose, etc. You don't need perfection just yet, just add colors and not too heavily. Then take the knife tool and smooth and blend the areas, using both shirt and long strokes to get the best blend.
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    Now, use the small paintbrush and the pencil to add the nose and mouth. You can also further blend with a small knife, but be careful you don't blend too much.
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    Use a pencil and small brush to detail the eyes. Pay close attention to eyelashes. Don't have one eyelash then another. They are usually tightly packed, or touching one another. Look at your own in a mirror. I also begin to smooth the face and add lighter values with the airbrush. Be sure to use a larger airbrush with small, quick strokes. Don't let the airbrush stay in one place too long or you will add too much paint to one spot.
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    Now we can work on the hair. Open another layer and put it above the face so that the layers of hair will look natural over the face. I use a medium brush with one main hair color for starters. Hair has three general colors, sometimes four. A dark color for shadow and areas closest to the face, a medium color that is the main color, a light color for highlights and an even lighter color used sparingly for shine. So, start with the medium/middle color.

I actually did this one, didn't like the results and so started over. But because it was its own layer, it wasn't a problem.
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    Okay, this was the one I went with. I added the different values of color, the darker and the lighter. Follow the picture with where the values are and don't add too much of each color. Once that is added, use the knife edge ( the second mode) to drag the colors in the direction the hair goes in naturally. Keep dragging until you have a natural look. You can also add small individual hairs with the pencil, but be careful to not just have them poking out of the head, keep them going with the flow of other hair.
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    Last step, add the clothing in a different layer and the background in a layer to sit at the very bottom.

I hope everyone can understand what I've shown, and if you have any questions, drop me a line.
    Visit my Gallery!

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks a lot!
    Your tutorial its fantastic...
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee