Thread: Chalk tool misbehaving

Gallery
    View images

Chalk tool misbehaving

Hi

As I run my chalk tool over the paper it occasionally drops a ball of very saturated colour - often at the beginning of a line but not always. See the image below.

This has just started recently. Any ideas why this is happening? Or a fix for it?

Wacom Intuos3, Art Rage v2.5.20, windows xp sp3 (heaven help me!)

Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hypotaxis; 09-16-2008 at 10:54 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Brett,

It looks almost like there's a single click, or region of high pressure value at that point of the stroke. Some things which may help with that.

1/ Try holding down the spacebar as ArtRage launches, to make sure that settings are at their default values, to see if that makes a difference.

2/ Go into Edit -> Preferences, then turn off / on 'Use precise tablet mode' and restart ArtRage to see if it relates to that tablet setting.

3/ Try closing down background applications before launching ArtRage, in order to see whether any external app is interacting with the tablet data being received by ArtRage.

4/ Download the latest tablet driver software from Wacom's website at www.wacom.com, then uninstall your current tablet software, choosing to remove custom settings when you do so, and install the latest version.

You can also contact me directly at support@ambientdesign.com. I hope these ideas help!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images

Lightbulb

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply.

1, 2 and 3 made no difference but installing a new Wacom driver does seem to have stopped it, although I am now getting the dreaded "The tablet driver is not running" error message. Usually stopping and starting the service fixes that, but not this time. Bugger!

On thinking about it, I think this error did start when I (very reluctantly) installed SP3. So it can now join the list of my non-functioning printer and external USB drive. Woohoo

Cheers from sunny Blenheim

Brett

Gallery
    View images
    Regarding the 'tablet driver is not running' error message, in case it relates to a problem during install you could try removing it, restarting and closing down antivirus software and similar apps on your machine then reinstalling.

Failing that, Wacom support may have some ideas which could help with that ( perhaps it relates to remnants of a previous install ). I'm glad to hear that the strange pressure behavior isn't still occuring though!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Regarding the 'tablet driver is not running' error message, in case it relates to a problem during install you could try removing it, restarting and closing down antivirus software and similar apps on your machine then reinstalling.
    Yeah, tried all of that - twice! And no go, I'm still getting the rror message. It'snot a huge deal the tablet appears to be working properly. The service is listed as running by XP. So it's just the error message. When I used to get this message under older drivers the tablet really was *not* working properly, which as I say, is not the case now. We'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Failing that, Wacom support may have some ideas which could help with that ( perhaps it relates to remnants of a previous install ). I'm glad to hear that the strange pressure behavior isn't still occuring though!
    I haven't talked with Wacom yet, but I will if the tablet starts to not work properly.

Thanks for the help.

Brett