ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Some UI Ideas

Some UI Ideas

Being a software developer myslef and at one time developing more UI than I do now, I am quite amazed at the simplicity (and the power) in the UI design.

I also share the concern of many of polluting the UI vs. all of us users wanting more and more. I have a couple of ideas that you may want to mull over

Right now, all of the tools that make marks reside on the tool wheel in the lower left hand corner. Obviously adding more mark making tools would go here. This could lead to a crowded, confusing looking tool wheel. Here are some suggestions:

1. Allow the user to put the tools they want in the available slots. I know that I use the brush but very rarely the airbrush. If I had this capability, I would not have the airbrush at my immediate disposal, but I would know that I could always access it via the menus.
    2. Right now, only a quarter of the tool wheel is shown. Make the tool wheel a wheel that I can spin so that I can see the other parts of the wheel. Spinning the wheel would reveal other tools at my disposal.
    3. A combination of 1 &2.

Thanks for listening.

Brian

I think Brian's ideas make excellent sense. Especially since all of us
    do hope that the future of ArtRage will include a few more tools,
    such as a Watercolor Tool, Blending Tool, etc.

Ken

yes indeed.
    de l'art ou du cochon

Mac OS X 10.6.1-iMac Core2 Duo 4Go-Wacom intuos2 612-2

Oh Good Lord... that #2 wheel was my idea to......... heh,heh........

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...t=103&start=15

anyways it is a very nice idea and i am glad there are others that think along simular terms.........

Sethren

Good thoughts there. The rotating wheel is something I had noted to look at in 2 but shifted away from when our tool set fit inside the current model. I do have a couple of quick sketches for hush hush upcoming stuff that may utilise a similar method for categorisation.

One of the things we've focused on in the AR2 UI is keeping the tool set there on the screen as 'tier 1' of the interface. During early design sketches I had a bunch of different categorisations of tools (given that we knew we were adding more in there) but I always pulled away from them because they required selecting two items to get one tool (eg. 'Paint category', 'Oil paint') and that really damaged the workflow, particularly when you look at how kids use it.

As we move further in to the product and add features, it's going to be an interesting challenge maintaining the simplicity!

I'm going to have to get some of my original design docs together and post some early UI shots on the board, I can see!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Oops sorry Sethren....I didn't see your message for some reason.

User interface is one of those strange things....If it is done poorly it really makes the software (no matter how well written) look bad....A good UI stays out of the way of the user and the user doesn't notice....until something like ArtRage comes along!

We have Japanese customers that count the number of mouse clicks an operation takes to complete. Some also do studies of the "mouse trail". If a single operation forces the user to move back and forth across the screen, there is something wrong with the user interface.

It is good to see a number of users (and developers) are thinking about how to extend the tool. I almost suggested a tabbed wheel (wet media tab, dry media tab) but that didn't seem like out of the box thinking that is employed with ArtRage UI design, and that would go against the tier 1 thinking as well.

No worries! i am glad there is a shared series of simular thought out ideas taking place... i just thought it was funny..............

I still want to see a Finger Paint/Gel/Metals feature as well but as i already mentioned it may seem to be pushing it abit for such an extensive set of fetures like that...............

Now that i officially own ArtRage2 i need to redo my PC and get cracking on my tablet!

Sethren

Tools

Although this is only discussion and a wish list, we just when through the red light in my head!

I do not want a Corel/Photoshop/Paintshop mega monster that takes 3 hours to load and takes another 1 hour to find a method and an intuitive tool.

I do not want ArtRage to be 20 times more expensive.

I do not want more choices for everything.

I want the opportunity to paint like a child, using whatever simulated pointy, hairy, scrapey, scratchy things are to hand. Plus a selection of smooth or rough coloured flat things.

I want some more brushes!!!!!!!!!!!!

If some of the less popular brushes are kept in a virtual cupboard in New Zealand and I have to fetch one when I need it, that is fine.

We are getting dangerously close to the argument about Art v Illustration.

If we need to have all these professional add-ons then we probably need a separate "ArtRage Pro."
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

I agree with Aged P (even though his name implies a water-saving effort in the loo! -- Sorry, that's what I always think of!).

Simple is good. But add a blending tool!

And a watercolor brush. (I know... you will when you can figure out how to make it good enough to be in your product!)

D.