Thread: colored pencils?

Gallery
    View images

colored pencils?

Hey guys i havent posted on here in a long time. My question is we have a pencil tool, now with real world colored pencils would they be the equvilent the pencil tool, or would i have to change some settings in the tool to get it right? for example colored pencils correct me if im wrong lol are more waxy and such. Sorry if this is confusing thanks in advance

Gallery
    View images
    Not to answer for the Rage boys, but there are different kinds of colored pencils. Prismacolor are the waxy ones you refer to probably. There are others that are a little more like regular pencils (often red or non-photo blue for layout artists in the olden days). There are also kinds that are water color pencils that when used, the pigment becomes like watercolor and bleeds out. And of course there are crayons and conte crayons of limited colors and pastels both chalk and oil.

So there's a range. What would you be looking to do?
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the reply, Ive actually used prisma colors. I was wondering if the pencil tool could be modified to look likes those would. I guess that would be the question i was asking.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynter Nyght View Post
    for example colored pencils correct me if im wrong lol are more waxy and such.
    Have you tried using the Crayon tool? Setting it to a size of 1 makes it about as thick as a colored pencil would be and blending it with the palette knife has a much more "waxy" feeling to it (as one would imagine with a crayon).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Huh i never thought of that ill give that a try thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    (often red or non-photo blue for layout artists in the olden days).

Ahh...the olden days. Brings back memories of my first job marking up type, doing paste up and mechanicals. LoL.

Gallery
    View images
    I would say the AR-pencils are closer to graphite pencils and not colored pencils. The AR-crayons, as suggested, have a much more IRL-waxy-color-pencil feel to it. I think some IRL-color-pencils are actually crayon leds in a wood holder.

And remember; As IRL the paper makes a great impact on your pencil. Try working on cel paper (as layer 2+), and then select your visual grain/paper color on layer 1 (no strokes on that layer). Also try selecting the ArtPen for pencils (again on Cel paper).

And a last tip (you prop know): Try working on 50% res. That is - if your final image is to be 500x500 pixels, then work on a canvas sized 1000x1000.

Happy DoodLS

Gallery
    View images
    I used to have a ton of Berol Prismacolor Colored Pencils. The best i ever used. I could almost blend each color the way i wanted to back when i was a teen. Became to pricey afterwards. Would be nice to have something like this in ArtRage some day.