ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Transparency / Watercolor

Transparency / Watercolor

Love Artrage been using free for a while and upgraded to Full.

It so desperately needs transparency. It would aid with watercolor effects and blending which I need for sketching.

Another suggestion on this page is related. Being able to dilute paint from the water glass. That is pure watercolor technique. I wonder if it could be achieved by some kind of selective transparency.

The degree of blending in oil color (I prefer to think of it as acrylic BTW ) is brilliant. The nearest thing to a watercolor brush is actually the wet felt pen which is great due to its tranparency which means blue over yellow makes green. Great. But the degree of blending is still not that delicious running together of colors of true watercolor. and not to the extent of the oil/acrylic paint blending tool.

Spatter is another watercolor technique that would be both desireable. and popular.

Now, you have the opaque paint media and drawing media brilliantly imitated, those of us who like tranprent wet media are not so well off. Transparency please. Perhaps a slider. like the softness etc dials.

Tony

Re: Transparency / Watercolor

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Johansen
    The nearest thing to a watercolor brush is actually the wet felt pen which is great due to its tranparency which means blue over yellow makes green.
    Tony
    Uh... if you're getting green from scrubbing blue over yellow with any of the tools, then I want the glasses you're wearing. :wink:
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Hi Tony and welcome to the forums.

Thank you for the feedback. We've seen a few people asking for transparency in ArtRage - it's something we've added to our big list of suggestions.

Really happy to hear you're liking the oil/acrylic aspect of it too.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Fashmir,
    I certainly didn't intend to mean that the green is bright or in any way other than a greenish color. Sorry about that. It is merely comparative, and with the wet felt pen there is a certain transparency compared to the oil brush.

Tony

Tony- I quite agree about the transparency. I suppose I could have mentioned that in my post. I hope I didn't come across as surly in my response. There has been discussion of the way colors blend in RGB and in pigments. It sounds like a tough thing to make true to life pigment blending happen. I'm just sure that if anyone can do it, it's the Ambient team.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Dave,

A little more practical feedback for you. I am already using Corel Painter, but it suffers from a 'look' about the results that is, in appearance of artwork oriented toward what illustrators and other commercial artist's like.

I am the other kind of artist, the mostly poor type who would rather go hungry than make artwork for a market. I also teach, and have a lot of students who would love a painting programme, if they could find one that is more like traditional media, and is simple, as, unlike designers, most of them can barely turn a computer on let alone be fluent in programmes that you and I couldn't live without.

It is a huge untapped market, and Artrage is almost there with drawing and gouache type media. But I am unaware of any programme in existence that simulates the more chaotic effects of watercolor well, or even approximately. The best one can do is use adjustments of transparency, and in Painter the transparency slider is used by me as much as the brush width.

If you can develop an effective watercolor effect you will have a product that will distinguish it from all others, you will have users of other programmes beating down your door, and you will open up a new class of artist users to digital image making. The starting point is transparency and allowing overlying tranparent color to visually blend so that blue over yellow produces a true green.

I should point out that your oil painting effects are quite superb, but that the smaller scale of computer based imagery is in my mind a sketching size, and that is what I do these days, use the computer for preparatory work for my large scale paintings.

Sketching media are drawing media and watercolors, so I think developing a simple watercolor capability is a natural fit with the programme.

ArtRage
    Pro: simplicity, interaction/blending of colors in opaque paint. Brilliant interface. Great blend/smudge tool and palette knife. Love the taper effects. Feels really good for life drawing, but needs transpareny for pencil.
    Con: Lack of surface textures, no scumble/glazing, no transparency/watercolor

Painter
    Pro: excellent surface textures, ease of use of main tools like brush width or transparency is brilliant, set backgound colors easily. Transparency.
    Con: Price, learning curve, except in drawing the effects are less 'natural', less pleasant feeling actually making the marks.

The truly remarkable thing is that it is possible to realistically compare a free/$20 programme with a sophisticated and expensive programme like Painter.

BTW, if you want to see some of my work look here:

http://www.voiceinmyhead.com

http://www.tonyjohansen.com

And those in Los Angeles will be able to see an exhibition of my work next year.

Tony Johansen
    Author of http://www.paintmaking.com
    The web's best resource about pigments and binders for artist's.

Hi Tony.
    There are several things relating to transparency of paint that we're going to be putting into upcoming releases of ArtRage.
    Thanks for the great comments comparing ArtRage to Painter.

The artworks on your website are phenomenal. I hope we can get ArtRage developed to the point where it's as easy and natural to produce works of similar quality digitally.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"