ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Step By Step Tutorial?

Step By Step Tutorial?

Hi,

Sorry for this newbie question,

Is there a "Step By Step Tutorial" (video would be great but I'll take any help)
    for Art Rage 2 that shows you how to use layers to ink and color a pencil sketch to achieve shading and a 3-D look?

Thanks So Much ,
    Dave

Hi DocMidi657,

I'm not really sure what you mean by a "3-D look", do have any example images you could show us? Anyhow, I made a couple of videos that use the layers and stencils in ArtRage. I'm not sure if they'll help you much, but they may get you started until something better comes up.

This is a video that touches on how to use layers to sketch, ink, and colors an image:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo5GO08M7rk

This is really just something I recorded when I first bought ArtRage. I use layers to sketch, ink, and color it as well, but I don't have any explanations in it at all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ojGDNJQBA
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

One question with the video and stencils

Hi,

Thanks so much. That was a HUGE help! I understand everything except one thing. Can you tell me how to use a stencil to color something and "stay in the lines of a sketch"? I think I understand it conceptually but can seem to get it to work.

For example if I sketch a person and I want to color their eyes do I put the eyes on their own layer first. Then create stencil from that shape?

Thanks,
    Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm glad those videos helped you out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by DocMidi657 View Post
    ... if I sketch a person and I want to color their eyes do I put the eyes on their own layer first. Then create stencil from that shape?
    Yes, that's the idea. You would first want to create a new layer, then use the main color you'd like the eyes to be and color them in. You'd then create a stencil from that layer, which would effectively mask the surrounding area. This will allow you to use darker and lighter colors to add shadows and reflections without having to worry about going out of the lines and erasing overlaps.

I forgot to ask whether or not you were using actual pencil sketches as a starting point (as in, an image made with pencil and paper, then scanned in with a scanner). If you are, there are some nice ways to color the images in using layers and there blend modes (multiply, overlay, etc).

I was actually going to try both (Sketching directly in Art Rage as well as scanning in pencil sketches). Would you mind telling me a little about the various modes and how to use them when working with a scaned image and why they would not pertain if I sketched directly in Art Rage?

Thank you again so much for your help in getting me going in this!
    Dave

Hello again,

Sorry for the late response, I've been a bit busy lately and forgot to get back to this thread. So... Back to layers.

Quote Originally Posted by DocMidi657 View Post
    ...various modes and how to use them when working with a scaned image and why they would not pertain if I sketched directly in Art Rage?
    When you create a layer in ArtRage you are given some options you may choose from. Clicking on the black arrow of a particular layer will bring up the Layer Menu for that layer. Close to the top of the menu you'll find the "Opacity" and "Blend" options. Opacity changes how transparent the layer is, while the Blend options change various effects the layer will take on the layers beneath it. For example, if you were to paint a gray scale image on your first layer, you could then add a second layer (above the first) and set it's Blend option to "Color", "Multiply", "Overlay" (any number of them really) and then you could color over the blacks and grays without blotting them out completely. See the image below for a visual:

As you can see, the color applied to the layers with these settings in place basically Tint the area instead of painting over it completely. The cool thing about this is that were you to scan an already inked piece of art into your computer and then open it in ArtRage, you'd be able to color over all of the line art without having to worry about removing the white paper background. Were one to ink the artwork with ArtRage this really wouldn't be a concern, because one would normally do the "inking" on a separate layer (which should be transparent), allowing one to color on a new layer beneath it with no problems.

As another example I took an already inked piece of Artwork and used layers to color over it (I didn't have any of my own work that I inked on paper available, so I found one online done by the comic artist Jim Lee). I've attached the image below so you can see it. I only colored in the "Green Lantern" character and left the "Green Arrow" character alone for the example. I've also uploaded the .ptg file for this at my MediaFire account, so you can download it and have a look for yourself if you'd like. I hope it helps.

Download the .ptg file for the image below, here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wgahg4zobab

Thank You!

Thanks you so much for taking the time to explain this to me so clearly and to provide the great examples!

Dave