ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Colour wheel picker....

Colour wheel picker....

I think this might've been mentioned before... but I've been back many pages and not seen it....

For me the colour picker is uncomfortable to use.... the RHS bar is so close to the edge of the screen that it's uncomfortable....

For me the most logical colour picker is the Colour wheel with sat/val triangle.

It works well for colour theory as you can instantly see the complementary colours etc (simply by moving the hue circle to the opposite side) this is a big advantage!

the controls aren't grouped near the edge. i know that painter uses it, but so does GTK.... you could even make it transparent so that it doesn;t interfere with the background too much

(see "colors" on nintendo DS)

you can see how the control area sizes are easier to grab in this picture when compared to the artrage sidebar

I'd love to be able to float and resize this panel, but I know that's been mentioned already, or just hold a key and have the colour wheel and sat/val triangle overlaid on screen (again see colors image above)
    Last edited by michaelw; 09-04-2008 at 11:51 PM.

I love this style of color picker! You get hue, Saturation, and Brightness all in one gizmo.

I second this.

just found this post. It's a great idea. But copying from another program can lead to licence issues IMO.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

No one can copyright the color picker that is basically a diagram of color theory. IMHO.

Not the theory ,but the implementation into the program. Painter has it's way of displaying the colourwheel, this one shown above clearly differs. The program parts could be licenced, no. Maybe I got it all wrong, dunno .
    I still think the above colourwheel is a great find.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by michaelw View Post

For me the colour picker is uncomfortable to use.... the RHS bar is so close to the edge of the screen that it's uncomfortable....
    yeah, same for me, I like the color picker as is, just wanted a wider RHS bar

I can't see license issues interfering with the implementation of this colour wheel, unless the code and wheel itself is directly and identically ripped from Painter.

It's a great idea, it allows for more fine tuning when it comes to choosing your colours, while we're on the subject of Painter, why not a mixing palette, in the traditional style!
    http://shap00pi.deviantart.com/
    the moment you admit your good, is the day you stop trying

Count me in on a color wheel color picker.
    b
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4