ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: linux and the ruler...

linux and the ruler...

I've been using artrage on linux under wine for over a year now and am liking how well it works. There's been the odd time when wine changed version and pressure sensitivity would stop working but that's all resolved now.

Sometimes I can't save to a disk that isn't fat32, but at least I can always save to the wine "C" drive....

The only thing that doesn't work is the Ruler..... stencils work fine, but the ruler is a fatal crash everytime....

It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the linux therads, but I'll admit I haven't read them fully.

Everytime I add a ruler it closes artrage (with some kind of save progress bar- though I've never found where it's saving to if at all)

Anyone else get this?

What's so different about the ruler compared to the stencils?

This is the last piece as I'm finding artrage on linux to be much better performance than on my windows partition....

Hi Michael,

The crash you're getting when clicking on the ruler is one that we have seen occasionally on some Windows systems. It's not a Linux problem specifically. For some reason, currently unknown, a small number of users are seeing this. We recommend using the 'send information to Microsoft' option in Windows, although so far the information we have managed to obtain hasn't been very conclusive unfortunately, and we've been unable to reproduce the problem here.

You can try closing down any other Windows based background utilities which might be running, in case there's a problem there. Otherwise, a workaround is to use the edge of a stencil as a ruler ( right click the stencil and choose 'ruler mode' ) for drawing straight lines.

We will be re-working stencils and rulers for the next version of ArtRage as well.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

hi there...

I'm new here, using AR version 2.5 on windows xp since a week...
    and I have the same problem: every time I choose the ruler, AR has a problem...

should that be fixed already or are there more than me with this problem?

thanks for the tip anyway!

greetings, Dood

ps: sorry for my english, I'm from germany

Smile Linux Ownz Ye All!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Hi Michael,

The crash you're getting when clicking on the ruler is one that we have seen occasionally on some Windows systems. It's not a Linux problem specifically. For some reason, currently unknown, a small number of users are seeing this. We recommend using the 'send information to Microsoft' option in Windows, although so far the information we have managed to obtain hasn't been very conclusive unfortunately, and we've been unable to reproduce the problem here.

You can try closing down any other Windows based background utilities which might be running, in case there's a problem there. Otherwise, a workaround is to use the edge of a stencil as a ruler ( right click the stencil and choose 'ruler mode' ) for drawing straight lines.

We will be re-working stencils and rulers for the next version of ArtRage as well.
    Great to hear you guys are rewriting that part. I love this application, just started using it. I'm considering buying a license already (standard vs umpc issue xD ).

Hope you guys keep linux in mind regarding the next version, at least working using wine.
    Is there going to be any additional cost in order to upgrade to the next major version?
    And how much around the corner is the next version btw?

It is possible that there will be some sort of upgrade price from ArtRage 2.x to 3, although we haven't finalised details of that as yet. ArtRage 3 isn't out soon, we expect it to be out in 2009 so a few months away yet. We still have a lot of work to go at this point!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Smile

Argh just finally managed to decide between standard vs umpc and bought my licence. Anyways upgrade price wouldn't be an an issue since an ArtRage licence is tiny priced ^_^ Looking forward to version 3 ! Keep up the good work!