ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Strange layer behavior

Strange layer behavior

Hey ArtRage techies:
    I´m posting this here instead of in an email because maybe someone else will have this problem. I´ll start by emphasizing that I´m not complaining about anything, simply asking a question.
    I run Vista Home Premium (32 bits) with 205 GB available, 4 MB of RAM, Intel Core2, Wacom Intuos3.
    I´ve been working with AR since February of this year and I´ve had no problems besides the ones I´ve created myself. Basically two comments:
    1. Last night, after working for several hours, the layer behavior changed. Normally, whatever I put in a layer at the top remains in front of everything else. It´s always worked that way for me, drilling down with each new layer underneath the last one with the same relation to the layer above.
    Last night, when I opened a new layer beneath the top layer (the one in front of everything), the painting on the new layer didn´t show up. The strokes were registered, but I couldn’t see them. I had to put the new layer on top of the original layer in order to see it while I painted. That complicates things when I want to paint around/behind the original top layer, which is the intended behavior. I´m sure you know what I mean--strokes from the new layer covering the original layer because of the layer arrangement.
    2. Today, I opened my painting to continue work. I shifted from 75% to 150% and then the program took control resizing up to 800% and then moving rapidly and continually on its own between 75% and 800% without my touching anything. I shut down the program and re-entered and it did the same. Then, I rebooted the system, and it did the same. After a bit, I got an error message from AR (don´t remember the number) that indicated a problem with the Wacom driver. (I have an Intuos3.) The same movement occurred on the whole system after that, whatever program.

3. I organized the new driver (608-4a June 2008) and now all seems to be okay.
    I´ve checked out AR since replacing the driver. Curiously, only the one file responded as described above. Earlier files from the project and other saved/working projects worked with layers as they should do.

Okay, maybe I´m too long winded. I just wanted to be as clear as possible, and I wanted to know if such behavior has happened before—obviously it´s not normal nor programmed that way. Maybe my failing Wacom driver caused this?
    Thanks for a great program and for listening here!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Hi Scott!

Any chance that the older layer had somehow got a paper opacity setting of 100% at some point in the process? That could certainly block out the contents of any layers added lower down the stack, so you could check for that, just in case.

The constant zooming in and the driver could certainly be related, as ArtRage may have been receiving messages which indicated that the zoom strip on the Intuos was being used, prompting it to zoom right in to maximum ( 800% ). It sounds like something went wrong with the driver and has now been fixed by you reinstalling it.

It sounds like you're still getting the layer behavior in that file, is that correct? If so, let me know and if you'd like to send us the file with details on how to reproduce the problem, I can get a private message to you with information on how to get the file to us.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the quick response Dave!

I´ll check the opacity thing. Never thought of that since it never happened before.

There´s no need to send the problem file since I finished that painting and all is well. Obviously, if it happens again and the opacity setting is not the problem, I´ll let you know.

Thanks again!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.