Thread: coloured grain maps

Gallery
    View images

coloured grain maps

quite possible that this has been asked already but i've been absent for awhile

with the loading a grain, does the colour of the image have any effect, or is it just the luminosity / value / lightness that is used as the bump?
    i'd like to use a photo of some wood as a background and have the original colour visible as i paint over it...
    i suppose i could import the image and then start on a new layer on top... well i think i just answered my own question but i'll put it here anyway incase someone else might find it useful, now i shall go test it ^_^
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

Gallery
    View images
    If you use a pic as a Grain and as a Tracing image you can see what you're doing a bit better. Depending what you're aiming at, you could invert the Grain or make it Grey scale. Tweaking the contrast on a Greyscale gives the deepest textures.

I try the coloured version first and if it works I just leave it coloured.

If you shave a few pixels off the side of the Grain image and save it, you can swap from one version to the other , this gives a sort of 3D effect.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    hmm what i've done works quite nicely, it loads the coloured jpeg as grain okay, although it only seems to read the value which is fine. i import image the texture, then select the paper grain as the same image, then make a new layer and paint on that. tracing images frustrate me because you can't see through them very well, i'll give an example as soon as i can be bothered to make one ^_^
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...