ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Trying to put some color

Question Trying to put some color

This is the first time I used layers to add color to a paint. I have not idea about how to color so I'm doing experiments.
    I'm using layers for color (grey) at the moment and I'm planning to use they to for shines, shadows, color and more detail... could it work?

Any advise would be precious to me, thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	19833  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Most definitely Asincrono. Layers rule.
    Nice drawing by the way.

I use layers all the time to separate different elements such as colour, tone and highights.

Typically I'd have a layer of block colour at the bottom (blending mode normal).

I put a shadow layer (set blending mode to multiply/shadow/tint or some other method that adds the content and makes it darker) on top of that.

Then I pick out highlights and details on another layer over them both. (Blending mode Normal or overlay, depending on the effect you want)

Truth to be told though, there are any number of ways of combining the layers to get what you want. This is just one way. Hope it gets you started. Just try things and see where it takes you. You'll find some things suit you and others don't.

You could add colour to what you already have there by painting on a layer over the top set to 'Colour' blending mode for instance. You may find you want to reduce the opacity so they don't take over. Opacity and Blending mode are two different things, both of which you can control.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Whatever you´re doing with layers, it all looks very good so far. As Nickillus mentioned, there are many ways to make use of layers. Trial and error is the best way to figure out how to make them work for you, but I´d give Nick´s ideas a try as well.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

First of all, thank you for your advises. I allready started the paint with that ideas and is allways good to know that you are not terribly wrong

Nickillus, I allready readed the tutorial I found in the main artrage page, thanks for spend some time doing it. I get a loot of ideas from it.

ScottF, I'm follow your trial-error advise all the time... but I must be doing somthing wrong cause sometimes I get few trial-success

I discover a couple of things... i.e. two things while trying to put some color to the image (that will show how noob I am).
    Frist: Keep the details up and the big thigs dwon.
    Second: And most important (if you use layers) is somthing like "think in layers" (at the beggining I only tough about put layers over layers... no under layers to correct errors).
    Last thing I start to see is that you can be really caothic in the fist steps, but if you don't follow some kind of squence al the end you... well... you will probably get the same results anyway but will take loots of time.

Conclusion: Put some order (at least at the end), "think in layers" cause layers rule... and stencils/rulers rule too

This is the thing atm. still needs some things...

Name:	triste5.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	19921  

Playing with color and textures (I need to stop fo a while or he will become anger agains me ).

Name:	triete_color.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	19924  

I remembered this drawing long time ago and remembered how I amazed your detailed drawing skills and the design of it's pose. Happy to see you adding color to it to give another feel. Take your time. This is going be great.