ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to change default canvas size in ArtRage 2.5?

Gallery
    View images

How to change default canvas size in ArtRage 2.5?

Hiya Folks...

I suspect I'm missing something fairly obvious.

My need is this...

I need to change the default canvas size in ArtRage 2.5.

Here's the reason for the need...

In a month's time (2 October, to be exact), I'm in a television studio making ArtRage paintings on my tablet pc. I'm capturing live interviews, and interpreting the content in real-time as pictures.

My ArtRage pages will be shown on the video wall which forms a backdrop to the interviews on camera, and they'll also be shooting 'over the shoulder' views of my work in progress.

I've found that the most frustrating thing about ArtRage is the need to set the canvas size each time I open a new file. And I do that very often in a live visual facilitation session. Sometimes I forget to change the resolution. And then I'm screwed in terms of the size I can print the pics out to later.

So how do I go about changing the default?

Also, is there any way I can make any new ArtRage file open with a specific set of layers already in place? For instance, I'd want to open each new page with the CNBC AFRICA logo.

Thoughts? Workarounds?

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    why not have a .ptg file that is set with the default size canvas you want. Maybe call it default.ptg. Then just open artrage by opening that file... then just do a save as for your new painting with a different title. voila... keeping the default file in tact.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks gzairborne...

That's a good call. And I've used it in the past.

Trouble is, it sort of doesn't crack it when I want to just open a new file in a hurry and start painting.

My working technique is to open several ArtRage instances at once. I have ArtRage loaded in my quick launch bar, bottom left, in Windows. Each click opens a new instance. So I'll have, say, six instances running at once.

I want to be able to just click that button, and be up and running.

Maybe I should actually put a *.PTG file into that position, rather then the *.EXE. Hmmmmm.

However... if anyone DOES know how to change the default, that would be superb.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Roy,

ArtRage opens by default with the canvas the same size as the ArtRage window. Lauching ArtRage via a PTG will allow you to customise this, and you can also save a preset ( File -> New Painting -> Preset Sizes -> Add a new preset ) after you've set up a painting of the prefered size / resolution, so that you can load this preset when creating new paintings ( File -> New Painting -> Select your preset from the Preset Sizes menu ).
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Hiya Dave...

I really truly madly deeply need to set up a preset and simply have it load by default, without my having to choose anything.

I know this is probably gonna sound a tad weird to you, but in the visual facilitation environment that I work in, I am flying by the seat of my pants, with not a second to spare.

I open an instance of ArtRage and start slapping paint on the canvas.

So for me, the hassle of choosing a preset from a pile of previously created presets is actually not really an option. I have already done that, setting up a high res canvas that'll work for PowerPoint sized pics.

What I find is that I often simply don't have the time to select the preset. I just have to nail ahead with the artwork, and hope to hell they don't need it as a high res file for printout.

Is there ANY way I can edit the default preset to my desired size (and texture)?

(I've tried opening a preset file in Notepad, but it's all non-editable stuff.)

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Guys....

Can someone please let me know if there is ANY way to change the default size and texture of new files?

I really really REALLLLLLLLY need this.

Thanks!

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    The Presets are the closest thing you're going to get within the current version of ArtRage (as far as I know). Have you tried to create a separate .ptg file for your needs? Set up a file the way you would like to have ArtRage open for you and save it to your desktop. If you don't want to go to your desktop every time, drag the shortcut down to the start menu area (where the "Show Desktop" tab is) and create a new shortcut tab for it there. Then you'll be able to just click on that tab to open an identical instance of the file without having to close or minimize anything.

If you need more explanation, I made a video of myself trying the idea out to make sure it would work. You can download the video (with text comments included) at the following location:

http://www.mediafire.com/?q3kog4z59ga
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Bing bong katching!

Of course!!!!

Thanks, Someonesane. Of course of course of course.

So obvious in retrospect.

Thank you for the immediate and easy solution.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    If you need more explanation, I made a video of myself trying the idea out to make sure it would work. You can download the video (with text comments included) at the following location:

http://www.mediafire.com/?q3kog4z59ga
    Thank you Someonesane for the video! I was facing the same issue. It works perfect now
    kaiko