ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Straight line tool

Gallery
    View images

Straight line tool

A Quick and easy point to point straight line tool would be nice( One where you dont need to mess about positioning rulers) thats the point .....(If all you need is a straight line,one that doesnt need to be measured etc).....Its just a thing that is desireable,to make line drawing more user friendly...click start point..click end point, draw line,.....thats the kind of tool I would love to see at some point in the future..Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Gallery
    View images
    This seems like a feature a lot people are looking for. I wonder how they'd go about implementing the idea though? I mean, sometimes one needs the straight line done in pencil, other times oil brush, and sometimes even glitter. In Photoshop, the line tool creates just a straight solid line. To get the same effect in PS, one has to use something like the Pen Tool to map points on a path, then use the "Stroke" path option to outline the path with a particular brush (and then you have the full brush stroke appear, where in ArtRage the ruler could mask one edge if needed).

For me, there are pros and cons to the "Line Tool" idea, so I hope they don't do away with the ruler altogether.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Someonesane...Thanks for the reply mate..I would hate to lose the rulers myself,I was looking for the line tool as an extra,not a replacement...I do use the rulers a lot for getting straight edges,and for screening where you dont want paint to go etc,lot of uses,... but because I draw lots of lines the ruler positioning is the main drawback..imagine drawing fifty lines in different places and at different angles,and positioning the ruler accurately each line... if I could have a click to start point of line click to end point of line,and a line appears,I wouldnt mind if it was drawn in pencil pen chalk or anything else,all I want is straight lines easily,and I know at one point it was being considered,but abandoned in favor of the accuracy of a ruler,where measured lines with all of the tools can be drawn,and that was a wise choice, but that doesnt make it the most user friendly line drawing tool out there,and I have to go elsewhere to draw lots of lines or take lots longer doing it the hard way with the ruler good and accurate as it is..no, I would just like a nice fast simple point to point line tool,pencil if you like,but user Friendly...But certainly not at the expense of loosing the ruler,but great as an extra......thanks again for the reply...Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    This seems like a feature a lot people are looking for. I wonder how they'd go about implementing the idea though? I mean, sometimes one needs the straight line done in pencil, other times oil brush, a
    this is tackled in many other apps by holding a modifier key (shift or ctrl) the CURRENT TOOL draws lines if you click click click.
    (if the modifier is held down and you drag the tool behaves as normal.)

See recent versions of the gimp or photoshop or painter.

This'd be a big help and as jacktar says needn't replace the ruler.