ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embossed canvas

Embossed canvas

I've searched through the technical subforum for this problem but haven't found anything. Here is my drawing containing multiple layers: twofrenchnotes.com/images/what.jpg (please copy and past, it seem I can't post link before my 10th post) The first layer (on the canvas) suddenly behaved differently by adding an embossed texture with any pen stroke. The paper is set to 0% roughness and grain and the pen is set to 100% softness. Is there a way to stop this behavior or remove the embossing on the paper? Thanks.

Hmm...? Last time I saw something like that was when I used the "Import Image" option to bring an image I had saved as a .jpg into ArtRage. Using "Import Image" adds extra paint to the layer. If this is what you did, try using the "Import Image to Layer" option instead (which will add less paint to the layer), or create a layer over the imported layer to paint on.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Have you tried changing the "Bump blending mode" to "Replace"?
    Rightclick the layer and click BLEND to see this option.
    Changing to Replace will make sure that the texture on layers below the one you're working on doesn't interfere.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this option is available on all layers EXCEPT the one at the bottom.

If your a layer has media which has been laid down which has any thickness, using the pen tool over it on the same layer will create a 'dent', as the pen presses the thick media down towards the canvas with each stroke. An example is below. A Someonesane mentioned, importing an image loads it as thick paint, so you'd also get the same effect. Using the pen on a different layer will avoid pressing down into the media beneath.

If you haven't closed ArtRage and you see something you don't like, you can use undo ( ctrl + Z ) to remove multiple strokes, but if you've closed ArtRage, then reopened it later with this file, your undo stack will be cleared so you won't be able to make this correction.

If your lower layer doesn't have thickness of media on it, I wouldn't expect to see that though. I'll send you a PM with details on how you can send us a copy of the file so we can take a closer look to see what the story is if it doesn't match what I've described above.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the quick response everybody!

Someonesane : I haven't imported anything in this drawing. I only merged a LOT of layers overtime.

Gormash : I see the option you talk about but it's greyed out so I can't use it.

DaveRage : I only used the pencil with the same setting. Well I think I did. Unfortunately, the embossed line close to the jaw is saved in the document. I though it was a purple-ish line.

I'm sending you my drawing by email right now.

Oh and now I remember something : I changed the dpi from 75 to 300 some times ago because I though 'Hey it's not so bad, what if I want to make a large print!'. Maybe this can be the problem?

Thanks for your help, it makes me warm inside

Problem solved, thanks Dave!

Just in case anyone's interested: After looking at the file I had a chat to Andy, who came up with this idea, which can be used to remove the media thickness from a layer.

If you bring up the layer menu, then hold down the shift key while clicking 'Export Layer' and export as a PNG, the colour, bump, reflectivity and shininess of the layer are saved as separate files. So, if you exported your layer as 'Export.png', you'd get export.png, export_bm.png, export_rf.png and export_sh.png. The first file is the exported colours only from that layer.

If you then import that file to a layer ( File --> Import to layer ), you will have a layer with just the colours from your old layer on it. Hiding or clearing the original layer should give you the colours only, with none of the 3d effects like bristle strokes, dents in thick paint an so on. Not useful in all situations, especially if you like to see bristle marks in your paint, but handy for this sort of thing.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    If you bring up the layer menu, then hold down the shift key while clicking 'Export Layer' and export as a PNG, the colour, bump, reflectivity and shininess of the layer are saved as separate files. So, if you exported your layer as 'Export.png', you'd get export.png, export_bm.png, export_rf.png and export_sh.png. The first file is the exported colours only from that layer.

Hi Dave. Could you provide more info on the export layer to channels command?
    After reading the manual and trying a test run, I'm guessing that the .png layer is the basic color without any texture.

What do these lawyers ending in _rf, _bm, _sh correspong to?

Could you also describe how these different layers would be recombined to recreate the original image?

The look of your canvas in ArtRage is defined by a number of different properties of the surface:

The pigment Colour (the basic PNG image).

The volume of paint and texture on the surface (the _bm image - 'bump'). The brighter the image, the higher the amount of volume there is on the surface.

The shininess of the surface (_sh). The brighter the image, the glossier the surface is.

The reflectivity of the surface (_rf). The brighter the image, the more metallic the surface is.

These individual properties are referenced when the application draws the canvas so that you can see highlights on glossy paint and textures where you have worked the paint without changing the actual colour of the pigment.

When you're using a 3D rendering system, the different files refer to a general set of properties used by standard 3D packages to represent surfaces.

It's a bit esoteric, but I hope that helps explain it!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    The look of your canvas in ArtRage is defined by a number of different properties of the surface:

The pigment Colour (the basic PNG image).

The volume of paint and texture on the surface (the _bm image - 'bump'). The brighter the image, the higher the amount of volume there is on the surface.

The shininess of the surface (_sh). The brighter the image, the glossier the surface is.

The reflectivity of the surface (_rf). The brighter the image, the more metallic the surface is.

These individual properties are referenced when the application draws the canvas so that you can see highlights on glossy paint and textures where you have worked the paint without changing the actual colour of the pigment.

When you're using a 3D rendering system, the different files refer to a general set of properties used by standard 3D packages to represent surfaces.

It's a bit esoteric, but I hope that helps explain it!
    That definitely helps.

Is it possible to reconstruct the original image from these layers within Artrage using Blend Modes, or otherwise?