ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Houses Where AP lived.

Gallery
    View images

Houses Where AP lived.

Based on Sweedie's theme with "reference free" memory driven sketches.
    More impressionist then architectural, just what flowed from thoughts.

I am blessed or cursed with total recall from babyhood, although it's fading with age.
    This picture was from a place somewhere in London during early 1941, I was abour 7-9 months old.
    My mother held me up with great excitement to see the "Dog Fight"!
    I don't think I'd even seen many real dogs by then.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    I was walking by the time we moved here. We had the basement flat, down the steps past the milk bottle. At 4 I did the Giotto circle thing for relatives. My kind and loving Grandparents lived next door. Searching for shrapnel after a lively night was the hobby of the day.
    We were frequently flooded and not just by rainwater. This really upset the myriad furry creatures who shared our flat. The cockroaches showed their usual stoicism! None of the windows closed so we had frost on the inside of the walls. Passed an exam at 11 which got me to a better school, a life long benefit. Loved Art, teacher never cared what I was painting, just encouraged. Got an apprenticeship at 16. A year later my father killed himself, yep just like Sweedie.
    Started going out with this wonderful girl I'd met and was married and out of there at age 20. yep just like Fashmir.

After this things get much better!

Gallery
    View images

ReplyTo Aged P

Phil.... You and I must be almost the same kind of age... I will be 64 in August next month........ I was picked up and taken outside,by my old grandma..... on one of the worst bombing nights of the war.........I cannot remember the exact words..... come and look.......See Coventry is Burning........ I couldnt see Coventry .. but I could see that red glow in the sky down by horizon....like just after the sun has gone down..... But the sun had long gone............Jack

Gallery
    View images
    Aged P-thankyou for sharing these its an honour to be part of your history through your stories-It brings a sense of shared stories to me as my grandmother Rose used to tell me about London in the war but she was about 20 when it happened

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Gallery
    View images
    Great paintings Aged P 8)
    I havent seen chalk paintings on the pavement for donkies years

Its a shame, but my memory is really terrible :roll:
    Though its good when I'm watching repeats of who dunnits :lol:

Gallery
    View images
    Phil my friend this is fascinating. I'm too young to remember the war (not to mention I've never been to England). You and Jack are about my Dad's age. I'm 41 going on 12. Thanks for sharing this with us. I hope to see more.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for that AP,

im not 'young' enough to know/remember these times youve painted,
    but i can sure imagine since I live here and walking around parts of this country, and hearing the stories and looking at the sites, and of course remeber the school museum visits in London,

hope to see more of your 'memories'
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    Glad to have jogged a few memories, it's not a time I dwell on much.
    Having now done a lot of Genealogy, I have to ruefully accept that somewhere up there in the sky was a distant relative! :roll:

Anyway, moving right along!
    We moved into the rear of the flat that my wife and her mother had lived in. Built a seperate kitchen into the rebuilt glass lean to.
    Bought our first car. 200!. Living arrangements were not a great success. Mortgaged my mother in law's house to raise a deposit, and then took out another mortgage on a flat in North London.

Gallery
    View images
    The flat was a style known as a maisonette in the UK. An upper and lower flat but with seperate front doors. It was expensive because of the extra bedroom built on the back. 7' x 7',feet not metres! Two mortgages meant virtual poverty, even with two salaries. One Hellish winter, one beautiful summer and one perfect baby later I got a promotional transfer and we hit the road again. Heading North to the Midlands

Gallery
    View images

ReplyTo Aged P

Hello Phil...... Very Interesting drawings kind of surrealist in effect... you do seem to be into effects recently...........Following with interest Phil Keep it going...... regards ,.... Jack.