ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Brand New User

Brand New User

I've been lurking round here a few days and this certainly seems like a great community. Why wouldn't it be with such great software uniting it! I just bought it yesterday. Even though I'm not all that good at painting, this software makes it fun, less messy and less costly. Not to mention inspirational.

So, yesterday I drew some clouds for use in another cool piece of software (3D related) and it didn't turn out too bad. It was just a test, so I plan to improve on it. Take a look at the movie link.

Hopefully I'll be painting like a demon in the future. Thank you Ambient Design guys for a piece of software even an artist can afford.

There's one grip that I'm not sure if it's a bug or not....

When I adjust the pressure on the paintbrush, the size of the brush changes.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~kenheslip/moon%20clouds.mov

very nice animation, i like the way, the moonlight comes thru the tips of the clouds!
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Welcome on board Ken
    I'm afraid I cant get your file to work

The paintbrush is intended to make a finer line. If you think of a real paint brush, it has a pointed top. With less pressure it's still the same brush but only the thinner tip part of the bristles is touching the paper

Thanks guys! The animation is the new H.624 mov format. So, quicktime 7 is required.

Hey Enchanter.....how do you have such a large avatar image. I'm only allowed 80x80px.

Hi Ken,

Enchanter paints very small! :lol:
    Checking Properties, yours seems to be 40 x 40.

The animation ran well here. that's a nice way of making a truly modern painting. A rotating Panorama.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Thanks AP. I made my avatar that small as it's the only way I can get below the 6kb limit! I'm crap at compression.

I've been adjusting my texture and should have another animation soon. I wonder if there's a way to make the brush (any of them) bigger than the 100%?

Hi KenH - welcome to the forum.
    The oil brush currently simulates only a soft tapered brush, rather than a hard square-ended brush.
    As a result, lighter pressure leaves a thinner stroke.

To make brushes bigger, if you have ArtRage 2.11, you can click on the percentage value in the stroke preview at the bottom left, and when the numeric entry pops up, type in a number up to 500% in size.

We put that in sort of as a test to see if people really wanted it. As it's proven to be so popular, we'll probably make the size buttons and the click-drag functionality also take it up to 500% maximum.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Outstanding! Thanks Andy.

Here's my cloud texture updated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nicely done, Ken. Welcome to the forums. That's a really nice moon you've got there as well.

.g