Thread: how can i do polished metal??

Gallery
    View images

how can i do polished metal??

hey, im new to this and i started painting a irondwarf for the world og warcraft lichking expansion, i found it as a pensil sketch but i wantet to make it a cool oil paint or something like that. my problem is that i dont know how to get a polished metal or iron look yet. i hope some one can help me.

here is what he looks like for now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irondwarf 2.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	19308  

Gallery
    View images
    mabey try oil painting the base and then airbrushing some light silver leaf on and mixing it in just a bit?

Edit:

Picure...

Name:	metal1.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	19353  

Last edited by chris772; 08-10-2008 at 09:31 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Well there are a lot of ways to go about this and they all depend on the type of look you're going for. My first step is to always find a reference for the material I'm trying to mimic. A quick image search for "Polished Iron" on google and came up with some good examples. Your best bet would be setting you paper grain to one that is somewhat rough, set at a small scale). Use the airbrush to block in your main color (I used a silver tone with a slight tint of yellow), then begin to add highlights and shadows (I do this on a new layer for both). When you have the form down nicely, create a new layer and begin adding texture over the metal by using either the chalk tool or the crayon tool (I preferred the crayon for this). Press lightly (or use low pressure) so that the color only attaches to the top of the paper grain. Don't over do this though, just add the color where the metal might pick up a reflection. Using the palette knife set to soft, lightly smear some of the textured areas so that the edges of the color detail aren't so rough. If needed, go over areas that need bright highlights or dark shadows with the airbrush again.

If you aren't used to the tools and using certain paper grains, it might take some time, but give it a try if it looks like the effect you're after. I've attached the example I did for this, to this post. One has extra hints added in it.

Hope it helps.

Name:	metal_1.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	19362  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Wow Someonesane! That´s one heck of a tutorial! Not to mention how nicely your painted example turned out.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    Wow Someonesane; this is a fantastic tutorial and really should be along with all the other tuts for all to see

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Someonesane, thanks soooo much for helping Whitee with his question, was watching to see what answers would pop up, fooled around with the metalics but couldn't come up with any sulutions, but you have taught that the metal effect is done by experience, sure wish i could file this away before it gets lost, thanks again,,,,,

Gallery
    View images

SomeoneSane's Tutorial

Hi SomeoneSane,
    That is a very good tutorial we will all find it helpful, I also find metal and glass hard to do, thank you for your time and for sharing your Knowledge.
    Grateful new member.
    Sandyg.