ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Newbie to ArtRage but Not Art

Newbie to ArtRage but Not Art

Hello all!

I just discovered ArtRage a couple of days ago and bought the 2.5 Deluxe. It looks the most like the real world tools I would use. What would be your recommendations for a beginning part for me? I loathe manuals but of course I'll read them sooner or later - I hope to either import or trace my own hand drawn sketches - hopefully to make a new beautiful piece of work. Also to export *some* of those works into animations just for fun In real world, I would use something called a "stump" to push and soften edges - and I didn't see such a tool - what would be recommended to add a "stump" effect? Hey, I'm just happy to be here and this looks like loads of fun!

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your purchase.
    I think that you may find the pallette knife on the soft setting (you can change the width percentage) suitable to use as a 'stump' effect - if I understood you correctly. I'm sure that you will have lots of fun with ArtRage.

Thank you for the greeting! I think I'm gonna love it - I stumbled across this while looking for something else - I love to hand draw so this should take it to the next level I'll look into that for the "stump" idea

Welcome!

If youre into art already, it wont be long before you get ArtRage "raging" for you. Its straightforward. Okay, a look at the manual now and again might be useful.

There is no "stump" effect, per se, but lay something down and then play with the palette knife and its various settings. It is extremely useful for blending with nearly whatever tool you use.

Most use it, but since you mentioned pencil, try to find some of the recent works of damasocl. (I think he has a listing in the Users Gallery.)Hes done quite a bit with pencil and the palette knife for blending. Hes even got a tutorial out there somewhere.

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
    Last edited by ScottF; 08-07-2008 at 07:25 PM.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherReiver View Post
    In real world, I would use something called a "stump" to push and soften edges - and I didn't see such a tool - what would be recommended to add a "stump" effect?
    Hi and welcome to the forums. As mentioned, the "Palette Knife" is a pretty useful tool when it comes to smoothing edges. It mostly comes down to what type of effect you're trying to achieve, which really means having to play around with the different tools you are given in ArtRage and seeing which ones produce specific effects that may help you along in your efforts. It's very rare that I use only one specific tool for what I'm working on. Something that may look like it was done only in the the "Oil Brush" tool, may have been helped along with the palette knife, chalk, and pencil tools, along with changes in paper grains to gain specific texture effects.

Basically, while ArtRage was designed to imitate our natural materials, it's really up to the user to make the tools work for them, and not the other way around. Have fun with it Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Talking

Thank you all so much! I've been playing around with the tools and did notice the usefulness of that pallet knive due to the comments made here. I can't wait to get going on this - I love the look and feel of it all and it sets my creative juices to blazin'

Welcome to here MotherReiver. In addition to the manual, and as mentioned above, there is a wealth of user knowledge to be found in the Tips and Tricks forum, right at the top, in a thread which has links to threads from numerous members of what you'll come to know as a very friendly and supportive community. I hope you'll enjoy your ArtRage experience and will share your works with us.

Okie Dokie - I'll read the manual! Hee hee! I've been kicking around the tools to see their different effects - and lookin' at you guys' amazing work - I'm humbled by your respective skills!