ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: "Paint behaviour" different on "import image" and "import image to layer"

Gallery
    View images

"Paint behaviour" different on "import image" and "import image to layer"

Hi all,

Something has been bugging me for a while and I cannot figure out why this happens.

If I start a new painting in AR and "import" an image - file>import image -, I can smear the image with the palet knife and the clours behave like paint. See image on the left.

HOWEVER, when I import the same image to a layer - file>import image to layer - it behaves differently. The palet knife barely scratches the surface so to speak. The colours are clearly not converted to paint in the same way. See image on the right.

(I used exactly the same jpeg file to start with)

Any one else noticed this? Any ideas why there is this difference?

Thanx in advance,

Yvan.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gallery
    View images
    When you import an image as an ArtRage painting, ArtRage adds 'depth' to the paint. It makes the paint thick, like the thick oils. When you import an image as a layer it doesn't add any depth to the paint. The paint is thin, like airbrushed paint.

Note that if you import a PNG or PSD with any transparency, no thickness will be added. Making the paint thick where there are transparent edges gives visible ridges, which you probably dont want.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the explanation Andy. At least I know now my copy of AR is not broken . It's a shame though that you cannot have depth on more than one layer by merely imorting images (or can you?).

As far as I know the import image option only works once in an AR session (you cannot import image more than once but you can import image to layer more than once, not so?)
    Last edited by yvan_c; 08-05-2008 at 07:34 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Well.... here's a trick you can do.
    Open ArtRage and import the image.
    Open ArtRage again (so there are two copies of ArtRage running) and import a new image to the second instance. Now copy the layer to the clipboard in one copy, and paste into the other copy.
    You should have thick oils imported from one copy of ArtRage via the clipboard into the second copy.

When copying layers, ArtRage correctly keeps all the paint information on the clipboard.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Andy,

Thanks for the tip. Will definitely give it a try!

Gallery
    View images
    Yes! Tried it and it works.