ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: free ArtRage Thumbnail Viewer., BIG THANKS.

free ArtRage Thumbnail Viewer., BIG THANKS.

Hi, and big thanks that program. I need it because i have art-rage2 ptg images so many on my computer.

Big thanks to Rage team.

br.Heikki.

Unable get win32 Thumbnail viewer working in WinXP Home SP2

Followed instructions to the letter (twice with install and uninstall) but no .ptg thumbnails show in Windows Explorer with View menu option checked for thumbnails and all other images appear as should. This licensed Windows XP Home Edition SP2 auto-updated to the minute version number (U.S. EN)

Microsoft Windows
    Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack 2)

Anybody else having a similar problem please shout. Thanks in advance all.

You might need to be a user that has administrator rights, because it's writing to the registry and adding dlls to the system.
    Check that you're installing the 32 bit version of the viewer, not the 64 bit version.
    I'll have a scout around here and check it's not relying on having one of the msvcrt dlls as well.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

AndyRage,

Thanks, but I did do all the installs as Win XP Home admin.

Intuition tells me there´s something missing.

ArtRage2 user noddy

I have windows xp 5.1 and thumbnail-view works ok.

Maybe it need to load again?

Just a suggestion for the moment while we build a new XP machine...
    When ArtRage is installed it adds msvcr80.dll to its program directory. Copy that dll to your system32 directory (or the same directory your ARThumb.dll is in) and see if that fixes the problem
    Note: After you copy that msvcr80.dll dll to the system 32 directory, will probably need to re-install ARThumb.dll to ensure it has registered correctly.

Can you let me know if that cures/doesn't cure the problem?

Andy,

Here's what I did step by step... but to no avail!

With original arthumbviewer_win32.exe installed:
    • 1. Copied ARThumb.dll from C:\WINDOWS\system32 to a back-up folder
      2. Copied msvcr80.dll from ARTRage 2.11 (ARTRage version 2.1.1.0) Program Files folder to same system32 folder
      3. Re-copied ARThumb.dll from back-up back to C:\WINDOWS\system32
      4. Re-checked Thumbnails option in Windows Explorer View menu
      5. No .ptg thumbnails showing image
      6. Re-booted Windows XP as admin to double-check. No change.

Note: before installing Thumbnail Viewer a normal size ARTRage logo sits squarely centred in each blank .ptg thumbnail, after installing Viewer it's just a teeny ARTRage logo in bottom-right of each blank .ptg thumbnail.

Next uninstalled original arthumbviewer_win32.exe, re-downloaded and re-installed it:
    Sorry, no change to blank thumbnails only for .ptg images in Windows Explorer.

I'm relieved to note none of this has broken ARTRage2 in any way!

Cheers.

Hi Noddy.
    We built a clean WinXP home machine here, installed the ARThumb Shell extension, and it worked.
    We uninstalled ARThumb, and applied Service Pack 2 to XP.
    Re-installed ARThumb, and the thumbnails went white as you describe. Restarting the machine restored the thumbnails.

So... I'm not really sure where that leaves us.
    I guess there is a chance that your thumbs.db files have stored the white thumbnails and wont rebuild them.
    You could try doing a search on your machine for thumbs.db - (you'll need to make hidden system files visible), and deleting them. They're just the cached thumbnails for files.
    You could try going into folder options, go to the 'view' tab, check the 'do not cache thumbnails' option.

Andy,

Deleted thumbs.db in folder showing blank .ptg thumbnails.
    Changed Windows Explorer folder options in View tab to checked "Do not cache thumbnails".
    Rebooted as admin in WinXP Home SP2 and .ptg thumbnails remain blank.

This HP Pavilion notebook has free avast! version 4.7 Home Edition anti-virus and ZoneAlarm firewall version 6.5.722.000 (TrueVector version:6.5.722.000 Driver version:6.5.722.000). Mention this to round out complete environment.

Cheers.

Okay, then if you're willing I'd like to do some serious debugging work with you, if you're willing and have some time to mess with things with me.
    Can you drop me an EMail to andy@ambientdesign.com
    I'd like to work with you to send you a couple of versions of the dll with debugging information in so we can see what's going wrong where.

I appreciate your patience and persistence.