ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old day scientist character, really need help

Old day scientist character, really need help

hey

I've already spent a few hours on this, and it still looks really bad . So I was looking for some tips to enhance and speed up my work.

I started with a sketch with the pencil, and then went onto another layer with the roller, and then I started another layer and accidently started painting the face into it when it's meant to be the background. I then found it was tool small, as I couldn't make the brushes small enough for what I wanted todo so I scaled it up and I also changed the paper to the smoothest.

It was kinda looking pretty bad and without any sharpness or detail so I started using the felt pen tool. I found this tool a little tricky when trying to light up dark areas I already painted.

At the moment it looks like there is alot of ambient light, but in the end it will be much different as he is in a room and the main light source is from the window. I'm not sure how I will go with this, and was wondering if this will bring up trouble with artrage later?

Anyhows this is my first proper attempt with artrage as I just purchased it today.

There is no great deal of meaning put into this, and it's a scientist from long ago... maybe around the time when they thought the world was flat, but I have no clue about history, so I could be completly wrong, hehe. I gave him gumboots as to give him more character and show that he is not a typical scientist. It's actually a concept for a character for a game me and a friend may eventually make.

I've been having trouble with precise work, and I was wondering how others go about precise work? Any tips or whatever would be great.

BTW, I didn't put much thought into the perspective of the floor and such when sketching, and there are probably many other issues and it would probably be nice if ya mention them incase I miss them.

Hmm, looking now it seems his right foot is turned to far inwards and maybe the legs should face the bench more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrazyScientist1-2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	18897
    Here it is.

cyas

Welcome!

Looks like you're getting some decent results.

As to a recommendation, there are two things you're dealing with: subject (story & character -- what you are painting about), and the other thing is the mechanics of making it look right to your eye.

I think you're going to pick up the handling of ArtRage pretty rapidly. Play around. Everybody's got different ways to go about it.

As to the scaling, you can work large and size it down rather than up. That may work better for you. But you will find that if the continuity of the strokes change from the resize, it may not match the rest of your pic and look pasted on. So the solution is usually to do it all in context and learn the essential things about drawing and painting so you can put in those marks that describe the form you're painting -- like the head, like the boots, etc.

Doing it more and more, you'll find it comes easier. Be patient.

I can tell you are a thinking kind of fellow, so everything you do will take you forward by lots. You will learn from everything.

Have fun with it and look at how other artists have done things that you are taking on.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

hey

Thanks for the feedback.

Well I quickly went over the lighting again, I'm a bit more pleased but I still don't like it. I will have to sharpen everything up again and see how I go.

Name:	CrazyScientist1-4.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	18900
    Here it is for now.

cyas

hey

Name:	CrazyScientist1-5.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	18923
    Just another update.

cyas

hey

Name:	CrazyScientist1-5-2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	18924
    Another update... going pretty slow, and still got a long way to go.

I've also taken a liking to the airbrush tool .

cyas
    Last edited by yosh64; 08-01-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Clever use of the natural light to light up the microscope slide. Has a decided early scientific discovery era feel to it.

Making everything so dark is one solution to a picture where you want to show detail, but also only want to imply it and not have to populate the room with stuff. But you will get a handle on drawing. Never fear.

The lighting works well in this context where the lighting is a story point.

Clever. Dare I say 'inventive'? Heh.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

hey

Thanks, just thought of a few ideas I might try. I won't say just yet anyhows, I guess you will have to wait and see, hehe. But yea, they nothing major, just some things to fill and add to the space and such.

cyas

hey

Just me again...

Name:  The Scientist.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  11.9 KB
    I quickly drew this with Open Canvas trial version with just direct lighting. Open Canvas is another quite cheap digital paint program, but it's much like regular digital paint programs. Anyhows I just went off trying to recreate the scene without much thought and as such it's in a quite different view and such.

In ways I think ArtRage is more luck trying to get things how I want, but it's still early days and probably to soon to say this. I will have to checkout some tutorials or whatever, but nevermind.

Anyhows sorry about all of this, I've just been wondering if I should have got Open Canvas instead or invest in more expensive software like TVPaint or Sketchbook. Hmm, I will just see how I go or whatever for now.

BTW, this isn't what I was talking about doing in my last post. hehe.

cyas
    Last edited by yosh64; 08-01-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Well, firstly, you can buy any paint program you want, but the real difference you are going to see is not between the programs as much as in the skill level of the artist. They're all merely tools.

ArtRage is great in the hands of an artist. And you can get Gimp which is free to do your Photoshop type stuff, if budget is an issue. So that combo would probably give you most anything you want.

But most artists have more than one art program and develop ways to work among them for specific needs.

Again, it's mostly about your eye. Learning to paint and draw is the key because it develops your eye. No magic program is a substitute.

You're well on your way. So keep it up!
    Last edited by D Akey; 08-02-2008 at 01:52 AM.

hey

D Akey, thanks for the feedback and encouragement, it does help .

Well I actually gave GIMP a try yesterday and tried to quickly paint the scene from scratch again. Anyhows the view and such turned out much like what I done in OpenCanvas, except the whole thing looked a bit softer. Hmm, I won't bother to post the results. I found the brush to be a bit easier to control the pressure in GIMP compared to Open Canvas. Well at first my tablet kept freezing in GIMP (only in windows) and I had to manually hex edit the binary machine code of a DLL that came with GIMP to fix it, I knew what todo as I found what todo online . It also took me a while to setup my controls how I wanted in GIMP, I made them very much like in ArtRage, hehe. BTW, I already had GIMP installed and use it every now again, but it can be tricky to paint with it as ya can't rotate the canvas alike in ArtRage.

Anyhows I finally got back into ArtRage, and I must say that I do think it's the best for painting, and I'm kinda coming to grips with it now . I just seem to find ArtRage more fun to use, and I also really like the controls and such. I also started using the Chalk and the Knife tool now, and with these I seem to have no problem getting things how I want . Hmm, well I like lots of the tools actually, it all depends on what texture and such ya wanna get.

Name:	CrazyScientist1-6-2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	19017
    So here is an update .

Almost forgot to mention, I see that I gotta raise the ear and fix a few other things. Hmm, still got quite a bit todo still. Ohh, and I still haven't painted what I was thinking of doing in my earlier post, hehe.

BTW, I do agree that it's the artist and not the software, but it sure is cool to have something like ArtRage, hehe.

edit
    I was also gonna mention that I think the face looks too cartoony and seems to have to much cellout or whatever, so I will have to try fix this or something, hehe.

cyas
    Last edited by yosh64; 08-03-2008 at 05:02 AM.