You said you know already the workarounds... but i give you some more tips:
You can use the "make Stencil from Layer" Function as a selection tool:
1. Make a new Layer (mabe set the layeropacitiy a bit lower)
2. Draw your Selection with the tools in Greyscale (it's easyier, you can control the transparency of the stencil "mask")
3. Make a Stencil from this Layer
4. Invert the stencil and erase all around (don't forget to chose the right layer, and make a duplicate for backup)
5. now you have a layer with only the object wich you now can move, rotate and scale...
And well as ..... the best tip is maybe to plan / sketch out your image first...
that saves alot of work...and you'll no miss these selection functions
Otherwise just wait for artrage 3 ... i'll be sure they're cooking something up
Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5