ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Just to say Hello

Just to say Hello

Hello folks .. nice to find a friendly art-related forum.

I just purchased ArtRage, which seemed to offer just what I was looking for.

It seems somehow, I always require 'bear' pictures ..

At Staffordshire University, I wrote a program for economics students called 'Teddytronics'. It was a 'how to run a business' simulation, and needed lots of bear graphics for illustration.

I'm still developing software, and have another program I'm writing called 'BearMath', which hopefully will help youngsters learn addition, subtraction etc. And yet again, I find I need some interesting bear graphics ..

So I'm hoping ArtRage will form the basis of all my graphics needs - although hopefully, I'll move on a bit from just drawing fluffy bears ..

best wishes,

Graham

Hello Graham and welcome!
    It seems You've got a lot of interesting things done and to do and I'm sure You'll enjoy Artrage for Your stated purposes and other applications as well!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Welcome to here Graham. I hope ArtRage will suit your needs and you'll share with us.

Happy to share Robert - thanks for the welcome.

I have a little example of using what in programming terms is called a 'sprite'. That is, an image or series of images to form an animation.

A sprite has a specified colour for it's background, which when the sprite image is displayed in Windows, it's backgrond is treated as transparent - so the sprite shows as 'floating' over the main window background. It's own background disappears.

In this example, the candle is a sequence of sprites giving the illusion of movement.

I couldn't find an appropriate place for this example since it is a composite of images built into a small program I created - not a painting as such.

The computer file 'xmas.exe' can be placed in any temporary folder, and is quite safe to run - (I passed it to many friends last Christmas). Just double click on it to run the example.

Hmm, I just found I can't upload a .zip file - so the only thing I can think of is, you can find it on the programming site I use here :

It's attached to the third posting down ..

Hmm number 2, I can't post the URL either - so I don't seem to be able to show it to you - oh well! .. maybe later.

best wishes,

Graham

Graham, because of some spammer problems a few months ago, new members are restricted from posting links until they've made ten regular forum posts. It's a minor inconvenience sometimes but it keeps us from getting people on here who want to sell us shoes or sex toys.

Oh, I see .. .. thanks Robert.

Just 7 more posts to go ...

Graham

Sex toys? Did I miss that thread?

Welcome Graham!

I hope you find ArtRage useful. Its always fun!

With your computer work, you might need to create stuff in AR and then export it to another program to make your sprites etc. suitable for your work. Still, AR is the easiest way to create/test whatever graphic you need. And hey, you might even move on to lions or giraffes.

Looking forward to seeing your work.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Hello Scott .. nice to meet you ..

Gosh, you guys are spread all over the World.

I'm into amateur radio as well, and a few years ago contacted someone in Rio de Janeiro. It seemed strange, since they were located at high altitude and it was snowing - while here I'm at just over sea level and it was hot mid Summer.

I'm sure I shall find AR useful - heck, I even use Window's Paint for some things .. Actually, that's a program that deserves more praise, whoever wrote it.

best wishes,

Graham

Hi GWS -- is that "Gandalf the Wizard of Sprites"?

Who knows what you'll find as uses for ArtRage. It will certainly be useful for creating the look of traditional art, if that has any use for you.

Sprites are pretty minimal, aren't they? Been so long since I did that stuff I can't recall.

Anyway, yes, everybody is pretty spread out. Makes it kinda tough to go out for pizza.

But if you can get past that, you may find what I experience to be pretty remarkable, that I feel very close to these fine people from far away lands.

Happily, distance and time are less of an impediment to creativity than they used to be, for sure.

Again, welcome to you.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream