Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First ArtRage Pastel

Gallery
    View images

My First ArtRage Pastel

Here I am again, with another new piece (number 3!), in yet another medium—can you tell that I have become a total ArtRage addict?

I used much the same basic technique on this "pastel" as I did on its "Prismacolor" and "oil" predecessors:

Starting with a photo I'd shot, I first loosely traced the elements that I wanted to retain from the photo, just to establish their placement; then after setting up a base palette comprised of a few colors pulled from the original tracing image (to which I continued adding colors of my own as my work proceeded), I made the tracing image transparent (I didn't want to actually delete it at that point, just in case I happened to make a major goof, or needed to pull another color from it).

I next brought the same photo into ArtRage for reference, and blocked in my foundation colors, after which I added a new layer for beginning to bring up the degree of detail in the image overall. From that point, I continued to add (and merge) layers as seemed appropriate, ultimately merging all into a single layer. (I got rid of the reference photo fairly early in the detailing process, so that I wouldn't get too tied to it.)

Because, in the natural media realm, I tend to handle paint almost as if I were drawing with my brushes rather than painting with them, I've always thought pastels could be a good medium for me, but my opportunities to work with "the real thing" have been limited. How cool, that, with ArtRage, I now have a virtually unlimited range of colors, in virtually unlimited quantities, to experiment with!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Enjoying the journey!

Gallery
    View images
    your great pitcure show really good what a powerful software artrage is! and also how fast to learn...

excellent...

greez maror

PS: i think i should try to use artrage out in the real nature (tablet pc)

Gallery
    View images
    Wow, impressive!

emre

Gallery
    View images
    the depth and haze of this painting are wonderful !

how about some wip pics please ?
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    Superb!
    Great depth and really beautiful.

(Also no dust, and you didn't have a $3 pastel fall out of its wrapper like colored sugar!)
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    This is really excellent. The detail and depth is fantastic.
    Great stuff!
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks to you all for the compliments!

I may not yet be entirely comfortable working with a graphics tablet, but even that can't take away from the enjoyment I'm getting out of creating in ArtRage—and when others like what I'm coming up with, that's like the icing on the cake!
    Enjoying the journey!

Gallery
    View images
    Fantastic, MacMs. This piece has a wonderful feel.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    About your uncomfortability with the tablet... One of the things i found disturbing was the slippery surface. If you find that disturbing too, the solution is easy, just tape a piece of paper over the tablet. You'll get more friction and a paper-like feel.

emre

Gallery
    View images
    Wow that is a beautiful pastel landscape.You can almost smell the freshair and the scent of the flowers.A real nice piece of artwork.Regards,Tony