ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Evening 4

Evening 4

It's official: I hate impasto. If I ever try this again ... someone shoot me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pasta? Whats wrong with pasta? A little sauce, a bit of cheese . . . oh, you said impasto (and Im not even sure I know what that means).

Well like weve all said before, we learn something with each new project.

Maybe you are getting frustrated with it, but hang in there: it is truly one of the best things of yours that Ive seen on the AR forums! Just tough it out for those of us who are anxiously waiting to see the finish!

All the best!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Heh heh ... some pasta would be nice ... I need the carbs. Thanks for the encouragement. No way I'm quitting now ... too much time into it. Basically (as I understand it at least) impasto is pushing the brush straight into the canvas ... which I'm sure is wreaking havoc on my first pen nib.

Looks nice to me...But if you want me I'll shoot you, let me know...
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Heh heh. Well, thanks Hanzz, I appreciate your enthusiasm.

Crikey Bob!

This is like a master painting.

I had no idea what you had in mind at the early stages. But the way it holds together is amazing.

Can't wait to see the ground.

Don't know why, because the colors are very different. But it has a sort of the movie Barry Lyndon era flavor to me. Maybe it's the handling of the trees. Don't rightly know.

Anyway, it's super.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
    Im not even sure I know what that means).

Well like weve all said before, we learn something with each new project.
    Impasto is basically the use of thickly laid down paint to build a sort of relief on the canvas (if I remember my Art lessons correctly, so don't quote me on this, lol). For example, if one were trying to paint the fold of a dress, one would apply a thick stroke of paint at the edge of the fold that is supposed to catch the light (or is furthest forward). This thickness in the paint would help the illusion of the fold being closer to the viewer by catching the actual light hitting the painting. Because ArtRage uses an actual light source (turned on or off using F5) and gives us tools like the "Paint Tube", we can simulate this effect to some degree.

I've attached three images as a quick example of this. The first image was done using just the oil brush (I purposely left out a lot of the darker shadows to help push the example). The seconds image shows a layer I made under the last image layer. It consists of only white blobs of paint I put down with the paint tube and then manipulated with the pallet knife and eraser to form a few of the folds of cloth. The Third image shows the two layers together. The areas with the thick paint underneath seem to take more shape and become a better focal point.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSWade View Post
    It's official: I hate impasto. If I ever try this again ... someone shoot me.
    You may have hated the process, but the outcome is amazing! Nicely done.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

My honest opinion is it looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the final outcome.

Thanks for the quick definition and the examples, Someonesane!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Wink Master of patience

Beautifully worked. I agree it does look like the old masters work. Great painting. I realy like your work.