ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A questions for any Pros out there (non-pro comments welcome too)

A questions for any Pros out there (non-pro comments welcome too)

Hi there,

I've recently been asked to paint some pictures for a family friend. Each picture will consist of a type of bird and a type of flower (I've finished two already). My question is:

1. Is it normally looked down upon to mix textures or styles within a single piece?
    • For example, if I painted a bird using mostly the oil brush tool, so that the strokes formed the feathers, would it then be to much of a contrast to paint the flower in the same image using the airbrush or chalk tool?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

That's a little like asking is medium well looked down on by steak eaters.

What you should be considering is making it look as good as it can look.

If you're talking about what brings better prices in galleries, mixed media over the purity of like, say a watercolor, or oil. . . or oil over acryllic. . . I don't think it matters. Permanence of the materials may be a factor, like if part of it's going to crack and fall off the canvas. . . that's possibly an issue.

And watercolor society people have their pet purity guidelines like breeding pedigree poodles or something. They would generally look down on using opaque watercolors (gouache) along with straight watercolors. And it may affect prices in those circles.

As to the reason mixed media could be a drag would be if they want you to make changes.

Personally, I like gutsy paintings and drawings a lot. And mixed media works for me, different styles in a single piece, all that is pretty cool if the art sings.

If the art is good, and people with money like it enough to pay your price, there's part of your answer anyway.

If it matters to the people you want to impress, it matters. There are no absolutes. Paint it the best way you can. See if your client likes it.

Specifically for digital stuff, facile filter effects may make an image more common, and that an unskilled person could do it. I think that may lower the value, especially if it looks like it could have been achieved by clicking a single filter. Boom done. Don't expect that will impress many.

But if you use filter effects with artistry, then that could be very appealing.

It's a difficult question to answer. When one deals with art, snobbery can rear its ugly head at the least provocation.

Hope this at least covers some of what you're asking.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

To me, it's the end result.. If your satisfied and get pleasure, and you think it all melds together, then it's perfect.. I do this mess to please me.. If others get enjoyment from my work, I feel all that much better.. I guess what I am saying, is that even if there was no place to post my work, and even if there was no other outlet for others to see my work, it would still be the same..
    Click Upper Right To Visit My Gallery

Well Rose, I for one use every darned tool at my disposal if I think it will give the effect I'm after. That said I find I just get on better with some tools than others, as I'm sure you do.
    I like the precise pencil and chalks particularly. I love the painterly blending of the brush, but it's not how I work in real media, because my technique is more about drawing it and colouring it in, like when we were small children. I'm not what you would call a natural painter.

One of the distinct advantages of digital is the ability to mix and match media in a way that is not available in the real world. Use that advantage I say - unless you are after a purely oil paint look - or chalk look etc. Go for it girl.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Thanks for the replies everyone. I suppose I'll give the idea a go and see how it works. If It doesn't turn out right, I can just change it afterwards (which is one of the many great things about using a digital media ).

To show you what I'm getting at (sort of) I have combined two of my images. The cardinal I have completed already and I used mostly the chalk and pencil tool (pencil set to precise) to make it. With the Blue Bird (not yet completed) I have used mostly the Oil Brush tool with everything set to default except the thinners option, which I have been setting around 60-70. I'm not sure which style to go with really, as I find both of them are nice in different ways. I thought perhaps that I'd combine the two methods by keeping the Blue Bird done with the Oil Brush, but doing the flower that will accompany it in the smoother chalks (which the Cardinal was done in).

Quote Originally Posted by Nickillus View Post
    Well Rose, Go for it girl.
    Thanks for the comment Nick, but I can't help but think that you might be confusing my avatar for someone else though (perhaps IrishRose, whos post I had recently commented in). lol.

I wondered why Nick was calling you Rose. Thought maybe he knew something we didn't. lol
    Anyway ... remember also that once you Export an image and then Import it, it all turns to "paint" ... so to speak ... and any touch-ups you do will respond in that way.
    Dynamite avian images by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Thanks for the comment Nick, but I can't help but think that you might be confusing my avatar for someone else though (perhaps IrishRose, whos post I had recently commented in). lol.

I think it was the green mustache that might have been confusing. Actually it's just in Chicago that the women have green mustaches on St Patty's day from drinking all that green beer.

Oh, and if someone doesn't like those bird images, charge them double, sez I.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I think it was the green mustache that might have been confusing. Actually it's just in Chicago that the women have green mustaches on St Patty's day from drinking all that green beer.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Oh, and if someone doesn't like those bird images, charge them double, sez I.
    Well there hasn't been any complaints about them yet, lol. My question was more towards what I plan to try next with the mixing of styles within one image. But like I said, I figure I can get away with trying it out. Should it not work the way I was hoping, I can always change it thanks to the very handy layers.