Thread: Artrage recommended specs

Gallery
    View images

Artrage recommended specs

Hi! I'm thinking of starting to use a bigger default size for my works, both for archiving purposes and possible printing.

2600*3900 seems like nice size (I like the 3:2 ratio a lot), but with that kind of size, Artrage slows down. A lot. The paint roller at 100% is very much unusable, undo shows progress bar, so on. Processor use never goes higher than 50-60% though.

I'm running a 2.6GHz x2 AMD, 2GB memory, 690G integrated graphics and a 250GB Samsung HDD. I'm curious to know which of these affect performance most? What would be recommended specs for working at 10+ megapixels?

(yes, the resolution may be ridiculous for everyday sketching, but that's not really the issue here.. )

Gallery
    View images
    The two main things that are going to affect performance here would be RAM and processor, probably in that order. Because ArtRage does more than just put colour on the screen it needs to store a fair bit more information than just a single image per layer, so that's going to push your system harder.

One thing you could try is turning off the simulated lights by pressing F5. If the problem is one of processor speed that should help. Undo taking time is probably due to the amount of data that has changed between strokes, and that can be sped up by a hard drive (the undo system uses your drive to store data because it's generally quite large).

Try the F5 lighting trick, that may help!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    One thing which can also help with delays in undo over time is to save and reopen the painting. This clears the undo stack and should make it more snappy.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Hm, I'm not very likely to upgrade my CPU soon, but the HDD is a 5400RPM one, so not terribly fast. I'll add upgrading that to my to-do list then.

Does AR use multiple cores efficiently? I mean, when drawing, both cores seem to be used, but neither ever goes to 100%, so basically there is real need for more cores?

I wonder if my memory speed, not size, is affecting performance as well. I think I have 533MHz memory, not 800..

Gallery
    View images
    ArtRage doesn't really use multi-processors - it's pretty-much a single-threaded application. We decided that the overhead in ensuring thread-safety wasn't going to give as good a performance boost in the general case than just writing a more efficient system.

So your best focus for improved performance is a faster single-core or dual-core processor (your OS is quite happy to be doing stuff in the background using multiple processors).

Pressing <F5> to switch off the lighting renderer in ArtRage can make a significant speed improvement. (Unlike other painting applications, ArtRage applies directional lighting to your canvas so your paint strokes have depth and texture)
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"