ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free tutorial

Free tutorial

Hi guys.
    I've just added a first downloadable tutorial to my website, and it's about some of the basic operations in ArtRage. It's far from perfect, being my first stab, but hopefully I'll improve and the next will be better.
    It comes in at about 9.8mb, so be patient about loading times etc, please. And that's only at lo-res. Feedback about whether it's legible, or makes any sense would be welcomed.

http://nickillus.co.uk/page9.html
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Nickillus; 07-14-2008 at 04:07 AM. Reason: To attach images
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

irishrose Guest
    Nick, this is AWESOME!! though I still don't understand much about the program and layering, you have helped me understand a lot more than I didn't grasp before. You did wonderful.. great pic too! Hope you get an award!

Right on Nick! I'm always impressed with your illustrations. Thanks for sharing your insights.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

thanks Nick....have been using artrage a while...and I learnt a lot from your tutorial.....well laind out, too

Thanks for a wonderful tutorial.

thanks

Hey thanks for the encouragement guys. Much appreciated.
    Nick Harris Artwork

Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5

thank you so much!

Hi Nick, I just spent the whole afternoon pouring over your tutorial that you put in AR...

I have learned so much - it was such a treat! I never before understood how useful those stencils could be, and those tips about layering are so helpful.

thank you so much

PS: one puzzlement remains... you stated you use the airbrush a lot - and I just wish I knew how to use that tool! I cant get it to blend, or apply it without blotches or do anything at all with it!

I know how busy you are so I wont hold out... but if you find the time to offer some tips about the airbrush tool I would be most grateful.

Thanks ever so much for that lovely tut - it is such an inspiration!

Best wishes,
    Rowena,

Hey there Rowena,
    Thank you so much for such a friendly appraisal of the tutorial. I have to admit that the airbrush isn't my favourite tool to use either. My use of it is more to smooth blends after I've blocked them in with one of the other tools, like the paintbrush for example. So in essence I use it after the event as a sort of touch up tool. The danger is if you you it too much you can lose some of the contrasting textural bits and hard edges. It can all become a bit smooth and samey.

Did that make any sense at all? Probably not. Just quiz me more if it didn't and I'll attempt English next time. I'll also try and do a simple visual example to explain what I'm trying to get at.

Best.
    Nick
    Nick Harris Artwork

Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5

Quote Originally Posted by Nickillus View Post
    I'll also try and do a simple visual example to explain what I'm trying to get at.
    Ooooh, this would be grand - visuals are always the best IMO, thanks

bodgey blending

Hi Rowena,
    Right I had a quick daub to try and explain what I mean. Hope it helps.

I put down two colours next to each other
    a)with the paintbrush (top ones) and
    b)with the chalk (bottom ones)

I'm not much good with thick paint so the brush setting for the brush is quite 'thinned'.
    1 - I've sampled the two colours and used the airbrush to try and soften the blend a bit. It's OK but not great. You can see it untampered with in the lower half.

2 - I've worked into it a bit more using both the airbrush and palette knife tool. In addition, you'll notice that in example 1. the colours are a bit lifeless. I sampled the colour from the blend and then without changing the tonal value, picked those two colours (remembering that blue and yellow together can kind of make green) showing as spots above and added them in. It just adds a bit more zing, but sort of works because the tones do.
    Norman Rockwell the famous illustrator used to say that if you can get the tones right in an image, you can more or less paint things whatever colour you want and it will still read OK. He was an absolute master, so I tend to believe him, even if I'm not capable of it myself.

3 - Just shows how you can get a reasonable blend in the chalk and keep the texture, by working with lowish loading and building it up slowly.

4 - If you try and use the airbrush or palette knife on it you lose that textural integrity, but get some interesting directional blending instead. Can be a useful 'special effect' sometimes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nick Harris Artwork

Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5