ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to record yourself drawing in ArtRage? (PC users)

Want to record yourself drawing in ArtRage? (PC users)

Hi all,

DoodLS asked me which software program I used to record the tutorials I have been creating for ArtRage, and also suggested posting it here so that everyone could join in on the fun . So here's the story...

I use a program called "CamStudio" to do my screen recordings. It's a great program, that offers A LOT of controllable features. You can set it to record the full screen at 100% quality, or make it record a certain spot on the screen at 10% quality. You can have it record the audio from your speakers, or use it to record your voice from a mic (which I do for my tutorials). You can even set how often it captures frames (so it's possible to set it to take a single frame every second, or even one every minute). You can even set shortcut keys to make starting, pausing, and stopping of the recording process easier. So here's the best part... The program is Open Source, which means it's a completely free download.

So if this sounds like something you'd like to try out for yourselves, you can download the program here: http://camstudio.org/. I see they have a codec there for download as well. I don't recall having downloaded any codecs when I installed it, so you probably don't need that, but it might be useful too.

After installing, be sure to open and read the "Help" section for the program. It explains everything you'll need to know about it.

Just a side note here: CamStudio saves it's video as .AVI files, which can be fairly large. These files are excepted files at YouTube though, so you should be able to upload them there. Should you plan to save your videos on your system, I would recommend compressing the files in a program like Window Movie Maker (which comes bundled with most of the newer Windows OS systems).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you both a mill. DoodLS

What setup-attributes do you use while recording? I tried both programs, but they slow down my pc very much while painting and camstudio did create a defect and unusable file, which was very big (2,5 GB for 15-20mins drawing).

I get no speed-feeling from that records by now.

could you help please?

Greetings,
    se7en

Hi se7en,

I use different settings for different situations (which I normally play with and test until I'm satisfied). I wouldn't recommend recording an entire drawing/painting session all in one go. It's best to stop recording and save what you have every so often. This should help keep things from lagging up on you. Once you are done, you can bring all the video clips into a program like Windows Movie Maker to compile and compress them together.

For example, if I'm doing a tutorial, I may record at higher quality setting (around 75 - 80) and drag the Max Framerate over (with the Auto Adjust checked) until the Playback Rate reaches 12, which should set the Capture Frames setting to around 83 milliseconds. But even at a lower quality and frame capture rate, the files will still be large.

When I plan to record myself actually painting/drawing (and not doing any explanations), I set the Capture Frames setting lower. But again, this depends on what type of working I'm doing. If I'm sketching, I might set the Capture Frames setting to around 1000-3000 millisecond (so, 1-3 frames per second), but if I'm doing detail work I might make it even lower, because in playback it will speed up the process of the slow going detail work, while keeping the file sizes down.

I see. Thank you for your explanations. I tried and will continue to try to find my perfect settings.

I agree with you, it is better for the slow detail work to speed up the playback. So, because it is not possible to switch the framerate while recording, this would be the good point to change the settings for the next working-step. Like:

1. Sketching
    2. Raw coloring
    3: Details, ...
    and so on.

But which codec do you use? Some do not work and some have bad results in lower qualitiy I think. With the Cinepak Radius at 80% Quality it is quiete good.

Greetings,
    se7en

I've been using one called "Microsoft Video 1". I've never really bothered playing around with it, though.

Does anyone know of a good video software for Mac??
    peace & love

For Mac & PC try this:
    http://www.jingproject.com/

I used the Intel Indeo 4.5 codec now. The cinepak radius has problems with colors. I posted my first speedpainting on youtube now and in the forum the finished pic with a link to youtube.

Thanks for helping! This is great!

Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    I used the Intel Indeo 4.5 codec now. The cinepak radius has problems with colors. I posted my first speedpainting on youtube now and in the forum the finished pic with a link to youtube.

Thanks for helping! This is great!
    Cool, looking forward to watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by bisky View Post
    Does anyone know of a good video software for Mac??
    Sorry, I don't know much about Macs.