ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember?

Remember?

Ok, this is probably just an American thing. Remember the 1950s? Remember your local Woolworth store? Remember the Woolworth restaurant? Remember the prices? Someone emailed this to me and I just had to share.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well we've got Woolworths here in SA. Not sure if its the same business. Definitely not the same prices.

Dang Robert,

Youre older than dirt just like I am.

I definitely remember those days and those prices. Maybe thats why Im in Argentina now--lol. Its not as cheap as your menu, but we have way lot better prices than in the States. I can do a full steak dinner for two at home with two bottles of better than average wine: US$13 to US$20, all included (depending on the wine). We wont go into the differences in property taxes.

Thanks for the memories! (wow, did I just sound like Bob Hope?)
    Last edited by ScottF; 07-12-2008 at 11:19 AM.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

and the friendly waitress..with her little cap....apron.. and white shoes....and sometimes a cigarette hanging out of her mouth.
    and (of course) the jukebox.....

I don't recall Woolworth's food counter so clearly as our local J J Newberrys commonly referred to as the five and dime.

My first non-paper route type job was in a department store lunch counter room. The prices weren't quite this low, but they sure as heck were closer to those prices than today's cheapest fast food.

I love to look at trivial things in the early silent movies, where Charlie Chaplin or somebody will be standing by a restaurant that has a chalk board menu talking about the day's specials and their cost. Those prices from around 1914 (soup 5 cents) were not as vast a jump as between Woolworth's and today.

I think it's analogous to the saying "If I knew then what I know now. . ."

If I had the numbers in money then that I have now. . .

Thing is, that if we had the dollar numbers then that we have now, the price of everything would suddenly, magically inflate to today's prices. It's all part of the economic the squeeze. The legendary "They" need to keep us needing more money, so that we'll have to work.

Or at least that's how it appears to me.

Phew! That worked up an appetite. I think I'll get me a six dollar hamburger from the local fast food drive through. And a drink and some fries. Cost of gas has really gone up. Blurp!
    Last edited by D Akey; 07-12-2008 at 12:48 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Alright, this is a bit of a shock.

Last week I dreamt I was a con man in 1950s America. Part of the dream involved meeting someone for lunch in a restaurant, a diner which had menus almost IDENTICAL to that one. There were omelettes on it - but same border, same fonts, same desserts, same Coca-Cola logos, same general layout. But this is the first I've ever heard of Woolworth's having sold food at all.

This must be my memory screwing with me. Or I'm finally going crazy.

Yup, that's freakish Orangeish. But you have to love those vivid dreams.

Dear RobertsWade, oh my oh my, also was a soda jerk at the five and ten, 60 cents and hour, that dirty rotten minimum wage ruined everything but thanks for the story!

Not to mention Orangeish's dream,Thank you Orangeish!!!,,, just a coincidence??? hmmmm??? maybe not, maybe a universal wish for more peaceful times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Last edited by Lee; 07-13-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Dear RobertsWade, oh my oh my, also was a soda jerk at the five and ten, 60 cents and hour, that dirty rotten minimum wage ruined everything but thanks for the story!

Not to mention Oangeish's dream,Thank you Orangeish!!!,,, just a coincidence??? hmmmm??? maybe not, maybe a universal wish for more peaceful times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Yup. I was a dishwasher, busboy and soda jerk. I could make chocolate ice cream sundaes just like the pic, with the layers, whipped cream, cherry and all. Could never figure out why nobody else did them that way. Became kinda known for it. And like you I made minimum wage, give or take a nickel.

Oh, and Orangish, get the hot fudge sundae on the side with your omelet. Then take the omelet home. That's what I would recommend.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Well, I was never a "jerk" ... unless you talk to my ex-wives ... and sometimes my current wife. I started out (after the paper-boy phase) as a bagger and carry-out in the Red Owl grocery store and worked my way all the way up to stocker and Assistant Dairy Manager where I made about $1.75 an hour after four years in 1968,